You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking > New mountain bike sooner than I thought :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Poolie

Liked 987 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

New mountain bike sooner than I thought :)

For the last month or so I've been on a mission to raise the funds for a new mountain bike. In no way am I giving up my road bike, just expanding my enjoyment of cycling. Turns out there's tons of mountain bike trails within a half hour of my house.

The economy being what it is, I imposed a limit on myself that I wouldn't spend more than $200 out of my pocket for a bike. The rest would have to come from selling 'stuff' around the house. I almost had the needed funded raised and one of my dogs got very sick. Medical bills for my dog or a bicycle, that was a no brainier. Sooo a bit of a set back and once again looking around the house for a big ticket item to sell.

Yesterday morning as I'm riding my trainer, which happens to be under a pretty nice Specialized Sirrus Elite hybrid, I thought Hmmm... I live in the south and in a couple more weeks I won't be riding this thing. Where's the camera? Within 15 minutes it's on Craigslist and this afternoon it's going to its new home.

With that transaction I will have secured the needed funds for the bike I'm interested in (a Trek Cobia 29er). Next hurdle is when to buy. My next two weekends are booked and the third weekend I'll be packing to go on a much needed vacation. Argh! The TT I was planning on going to this weekend may have to wait.

Will post picks when I get. This past Saturday I stopped by the bike shop to have a look at the Cobia's and wow, the pics on the internet don't do it justice. Very pretty bike.

Cycling... If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Xela
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 1124 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Awesome! Glad to hear that! I need to pull the trigger and get the Ellsworth up for sale. I honestly think I would get a lot more use and enjoyment out of a cross bike. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Poolie

The Guy happily took my trusty hybrid off my hands this evening. Is it Saturday yet?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Poolie

Torn on when to pull the trigger and buy the bike. I guess rightfully so the group that manages the mountain bike trails around here closes them the during rain and a day or so after to keep the trail erosion in check. Problem is that it's been raining every couple days here so even if I do get the bike this weekend the only place to ride it will be where I normally ride my road bike and in that case I'd rather be on my road bike.

If not this weekend the next opportunity will be mid March before I have an open weekend... sigh... I might have to wait till then. Decisions decisions...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
BeginnerCycling

Bikes

Liked 145 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

If you might have to wait that long, you could save some cash and have one of these delivered:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point4.htm

Frame is basically the same as the Treks, with slight adjustment since it is not Trek's G2 fork. I have a 29point3 (specs between Mamba and Cobia) and have really liked it a lot.

Just a thought...

I ride at night -- here are my tips for Night Cycling
My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Old 02-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Poolie

I know me... not capable of waiting a month ;-)

Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
BeginnerCycling

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolie View Post
I know me... not capable of waiting a month ;-)
I understand that! My bikesdirect.com bike arrived in only a few days, actually.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Poolie

The wait is over. He's a pic of my new mountain bike ride. After leaving the LBS, I stopped at a local State Park that has several riding paths along the lake. The one I took was an easy 3 1/2 mile loop. Had to re-wire my brain to use the 'thumb' only SRAM shifters, but that turned out to pretty simple to get the hang of.

It's the first time I've thrown a leg over a 29er and I have to say that I loved it. You might notice that it's not the Trek Cobia that I intended to buy. The shop made me a deal on the X-Cal that I just couldn't turn down. It has the next level of components (X7), better front fork and brakes and better wheels. It's about 3 1/2 lbs lighter than the Cobia which sealed the deal for me. 26 1/2 lbs vs 30lbs. The stock tires don't do much for me and will probably be the first thing to go. I'm going to try to like the weird handlebars (they angle back slightly), we'll just have to see about them. It might grow on me. The grips are a little too weenie and those will probably go too. Otherwise I'm off the charts happy with it.

Now if it would just quit raining. Save a little for summer

Last edited by Poolie; 02-18-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
BeginnerCycling

Bikes

Great looking bike!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
RoadHollow

Saaweet !!!! Nice choice . glad you pulled the trigger and went up notch on the bike to . I was going to say as i was reading through , Go ahead and grab the bike now and ride some dirt paths and gravel roads . It would be good to become acquainted with the bike before hitting the trails . Congrats on your purchase

Quick Reply