You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking >

Night ride and what light?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 11762 Times on 6270 Posts
Likes Given: 9523

Quote:
Originally Posted by i12ride View Post
All y'all worried about the rubber bands on the cheap lights COULD just spend $10 more to get the same ones with an actual mount...........$35 is still cheap for the output on these

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes-Rechargeable-Headlight-taillight/dp/B00GJZ015Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487846022&sr=8-1&keywords=brighteyes+bicycle+light

Night ride and what light? - Mountain Biking
Yup, I've got what I've got and if I get one ride out of them I'll call it good.

One thing I noticed immediately ( shining them across the front yard) with the lights I just got is the fact the beam is very narrow. The throw of the beam is very very limited as compared to the adjustable focal point on my other cheap light. I'll have to snap a shot for comparison.

I made a mistake, learned and won't make that same mistake in the future should I decide to continue with night riding

Another one I like was the Lupine but until I get a sponsor...
http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-lupine-wilma-7-3

Had I not waited until so late in the game I would stick to my guns. My next light will also need to use GoPro style mounts.

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #32
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2016 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

Quote:
My new suggestion are these.......Getting 6 Betty XR14s to replace my sad ones with.

http://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/
You missed this post didn't you? This is the other end of the spectrum. These will be noticeably brighter, have smaller battery, and mount solidly. Based on price they should be at least 50-80 times better - brighter, longer lasting & much more durable. Made in America even

Just like a newb asking about bike purchases.....The most expensive high end stuff is never suggested until they try it out and see if cycling is for them. These $30 cheap EFFECTIVE lights are what I suggest for people starting out riding at night vs all the weak @55 other entry level overpriced nonsense that is out there. These cheapies are by no means the end all of night lighting, especially for competitive uses. They do, however, kick pretty much anything close to their pricepoint's @55 and have been all I need for night riding. Others will have to find whatever they think that works for them.

Last edited by i12ride; 02-23-2017 at 01:49 PM.
ironlungs Likes This 
Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
DnvrFox
Still learning . . .

Liked 2084 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
I have that EXACT light that I use at work at night. Best money I've spent. I love the three modes and adjustable focal point!!
My thought was that the light on one's helmet would be a nice supplement to bar-mounted lights. Mine is bright enough to see owls in the cottonwood trees. It swivels as one's head swivels, while bar-mounted swivel only with the bars turning. However, I have yet to try it to see if it actually slips over the helmet - I will put that on my list
File Type: png nightlight.png (204.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #34
fpl1

Liked 5640 Times on 2633 Posts
Likes Given: 2150

Quote:
It does but like I said, I should have known better, shame on me.

Emailed the seller and as far as I can understand he is sending the correct plug. I thought at first it was setup as a multiplug made for travel Naw, not so.

Hope it's not the slow boat I ned this before March 11th
I think Emma is right.... you know as much about electricity, etc. as anyone...I bet you can figure out a modification if the correct adapter doesn't arrive from China.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #35
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Quote:
You missed this post didn't you?

No, I saw this

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #36
kd5nrh

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For the helmet, I just use a little Energizer headlamp from WalMart. That one's mostly just for seeing the speedometer, roadside repairs and finding the on buttons for the bike mounted lights.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #37
Hazy

Liked 1440 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 1948

Quote:
Yup, 2 different uses. Not quite so critical when you walk 2-3 mph vs riding through the woods in the dark

2-3 mph walking? Not much difference in your riding speed! Muhahahaha!!!
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

Old 02-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #38
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2016 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

I'm guessing the reason for the rubber bands on the cheap lights is because it mounts to both the bars and to the helment mount with them. If they had the nice sturdy bar mount like the bright eyes version then it wouldn't mount on the helment. Again, depends on one's needs/wants. Buy a bright eyes version for the bars and the rubber band version for the helment. $60 or less for 2 setups to cover bars and helments... kinda unbeatable for the performance and pricepoint. As always, NOTHING meets everyone's needs or desires or budgets.

Last edited by i12ride; 02-23-2017 at 08:22 PM.
rola643 Likes This 
Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #39
simondes

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Exposure Toro. Not really cheap, but the light output is impressive.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondes View Post
I have the Exposure Toro. Not really cheap, but the light output is impressive.
Those were also recommended by Xela. He swears by them and last I talked to him, he had 6 of them!

* -Joe Friel

Quick Reply