You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking >

Night ride and what light?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #51
ironlungs

Liked 4442 Times on 2165 Posts
Likes Given: 7294

Sorry to hear about the beam spread, Rola. I have a Chinese one that the head pulls out and in, to narrow or widen the beam. Otherwise, those dusk pictures are fantastic shots, ave thanks for taking us along. As a strictly road rider, I see yourr ride as a great adventure... to ride at night in woods? Wow. My helmet off to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #52
kd5nrh

Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Finally got that night ride in and absolutely had a blast!! Learned a few things as well.

The cheap Chinese light worked well for the quality of the light( as in Plenty bright )but totally sucked for beam pattern. I grabbed a couple of stills from my GoPro. I was following someone with a lights and motion setup and you can see the small focused beam mine had vs. the wide beam his had that lit up the entire path. Looks like I'm using a flashlight

I will be upgrading before the next night ride
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-Lens-for-MagicShine-Gemini-Lupine-Bike-Light-/271236305324
Or if you want it quicker for $1 more:
https://www.amazon.com/Angle-MagicShine-Gemini-Lights-Headlight/dp/B004WLCLQY

Put it in with the ribs vertical and you'll get a nice wide pattern. Wish I could find something similar for the triple LED light I've got.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #53
kd5nrh

Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Also, if I, no when I, do my next night ride I'm pretty sure it will start after dark. We started in the daylight and that period of transition from day to night was way tougher to see than I had imagined. We had a full moon last night and once it was completely dark the peace and tranquility of a night ride was sooooo awesome.
When I worked night shift, I'd always go out on my nights off for 10-30 miles starting at about 1AM. Back roads on a weekday morning have almost no traffic and lots of wildlife that doesn't run from bikes. With a full moon, smooth road and no traffic, I'd even shut off the forward facing lights for a few miles sometimes.
People Like This 
Old 04-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #54
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2363 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

My cheapy ones all have beam pattern like your friend's does......

Old 04-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #55
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4516 Times on 2095 Posts
Likes Given: 13095

It may be worth checking those lights to see if they have any type of beam adjustment. I bought some a while back which didn't appear adjustable and almost found their way to the trash before I tumbled to the adjustment. I had good luck setting one to a broad, wide beam and concentrating the 2nd in more of a spot configuration. Between the two, I ended up with the area immediately in front of me broadly illuminated while the spot reached a bit further out to pick out upcoming obstacles.

Darned straight about making those light/dark transitions, too! I really enjoy riding the day into night, but twilight is a challenge for sure. I feel more visible to other traffic then thanks to my lights, but they sure don't seem to do much illuminating of the ground until the sun's said its final goodbye for the day.
ironlungs Likes This 
Old 04-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #56
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2363 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Bought one of the wide angle lens for one of the cree lights to check it out.

Quick Reply