You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking >

salsa or beast of the east

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
justme

Liked 164 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 94

salsa or beast of the east

i been offered beast of the east 1 for a handsome price but...

i used to ride 29er small cannondale trail , feel too big
i used to ride 27.5 small jamis nemesis, feel too big
now i m riding 26 xs turner flux and loving it

btw, i m 5'2.5 height.

my question is, will the small beast of the east 1 fit me? the guy told me it got shorter chainstay and will fit me. it's not local or else i will try it. also, it has lefty fork, any known problem? i know if i mess up the wheel, i have to buy "special" one for it since it "lefty". demo bike and will be shipped from texas $1700 with warranty

next question, anyone have input on salsa timberjack, i can get it in xs ? new from rei + dropper post will be around $1400

thanks

Last edited by justme; 10-09-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2911 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1639

The beast jumps out at me more than the timberjack for some reason.......the beast = $2700 bike for $1700 and the timberjack according to orange color on the salsa site = $1100 bike, for $1400 at rei?.........curious unless you mean different model timberjack. I got a deal on a 21.5" frame Stache 7 recently. Says 21.5 = 6'1" - 6'5", I am 6' and bike feels big but I love it, very manageable and fun...with keeping an eye on it and reigning it in in certain situations, 29x3.0 and I love it. I didn't find any sizing for either of the bikes you're considering. Still, the beast speaks louder to me but this'd be your bike so I'm leaving that up to you. Both bikes look like big fun to me. I love 29" vs 26". The 2 I have are designed around 29" wheels so they have great handling pretty much same as my 26ers do. I just love the rollover aspect on the 29ers. 27.5 has not really interested me and haven't been drawn to them. IMO, for me, 26x2.3 pretty much = what 27.5 would be and I like feeling the difference between 26 and 29. Again, your money, your preference, your needs, your choice.....have fun widdit.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

As far as the lefty on the beast, do it. Has been around for quite some time and other than it having a proprietary need or 2, I have heard nothing bad about them. I like how it has reverse stanchion that keeps gak off the seal since it is pointed down.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
justme

regrading the salsa, it's 1100 + dropper(300) while the bote are all set. i am learning more to bote but the color on salsa catch my eye... i just dont know if it justify for another "fun bike" while i dont ride much on my current turner. ..

Old 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

29er is easier rolling and all around more fun to ride. My 26ers cry out for ride time but I can't hear them much over the 29ers. I really like riding the 29+ around like it's normal size/weight and then getting on my other 29er with 2.3s and feel all superman on it where you can flick it about, jump higher and accelerate faster from the lighter weight......Stache is my "trainer" lol...............
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
maelochs
Old, fat, and slow

Liked 58 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 52

29er might be great for a lot of people but at 5'2" I can see where the bike would feel weird--sort of like a taller person riding 39" wheels or something. I watch the ladies mountain biking and the shorter riders look comical on the 29s-like kids whose parents bought them a giant bike so they could grow into it for a few seasons.

Off road I prefer a slightly tighter frame ... but everyone is different.

I don't know if I could ever ride a Lefty ... I know they are proven over decades and all that ... my brain tells me they are wrong.

Problem is ... I know nothing about you. Any advice I could give would be based on me .... which makes it pretty worthless.

I will say this ... plenty of people I have heard have said, "Between two, buy the bike that fits, then between two by the bike with the better spec, and if they are still even, buy the one you like best ... choose based on the paint job."

Honestly, unless the bikes are radically different, or you are professionally racing ... liking the bike you buy is more important than anything else. You have to own the thing for however long ... but you don't have to ride it. it only works if you Want to ride it.
People Like This 
Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #7
cwtch

Liked 3455 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beast is a heck of a bike and they are smaller than the Salsa but the Timberjack rides great as well. Both are quality. I am tall so can't speak to the height issue but the Cannondale is the smaller of the two in the companies perspective sizes. In other words get a small of each and the Beast is the smaller of the two.
justme Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
justme

i12ride and cwtch.........

i pulled the trigger and went for the beast! both you sold me on it.

maelochs, 29 small did feel like 26 med/large for me. i mean i can pedal on it, roll over stuff but climbing, i have trouble...

been eyeing on lefty for years, it look cool lol.... weird but kewl
i12ride Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
cwtch

Liked 3455 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on the new bike. Have fun on it.

Quick Reply