You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Activism / Safety >

"I'll show you" mentality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #41
Retmuter

Liked 363 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
Yeah, the "dress like a traffic cone" theory gets me extra space most of the time, though I still get the ones who will pull out from a stop sign right into me in broad daylight from time to time. Almost always while looking down at their phones. Actually had to Shoe Goo my bike shoe the other day because the sole started coming loose from the upper at the toe from a solid kick delivered to one of them that tried to merge into me.
Better fixing the shoe than a trip to emergency. The old 'I'm invisible' thinking is still the best. Laws have been made against texting and such, but they don't get enforced.

kd5nrh Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #42
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2751 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1509

Immigration laws aren't enforced so why anyone would enforce cell phone laws escapes me..............especially when there are news stories about a cop who ran into the back of a civilian piddling with the computer while driving.

MUST

LEAD

BY

EXAMPLE.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #43
Retmuter

I have seen cops texting and talking on the phone while driving. But I guess they're somehow different?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #44
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2751 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1509

Yeah, harder to sue than civilian for crashing into you..........

Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #45
Twelvefret

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Since this thread started I began to observe motorists while driving. I tend to pull away slowly and drive the SL. I get the same response I get riding a bike. I am simply in their way.
rushlake Likes This 
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #46
Retmuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Since this thread started I began to observe motorists while driving. I tend to pull away slowly and drive the SL. I get the same response I get riding a bike. I am simply in their way.
Same here. I've also noticed that I can drive my truck at the same speed loaded as unloaded. I'll get passed more when I'm loaded as people think loaded = slow (maybe in my younger cannabis years!).
So maybe that's the perception of bike riders?

Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #47
Hawkowl

Liked 225 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Yeah, as I've said before, lots of paranoia in the cycling world. I don't see much difference in other driver behavior regardless of what machine I'm operating. It is a mixture of really great and appalling.

Matter of fact, if my experience in Tucson and Seattle airports yesterday is any measure people behave just the same when they are walking. It was a mob scene when boarding with a few doing credit to an NFL blocking line. But, on arrival when one person needed to make a very short connection everyone sat quietly in their seats until that person had gone by.

Quick Reply