Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Activism / Safety > Im lucky im alive today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
imrob

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Im lucky im alive today

Im a comuter and i as was 8 miles from home when i just got t boned today at 6:20 am this morning. i was in the bike lane on the right side of the road going with traffic. As i was in the middle of an exit for a neiberhood i saw a truck speeding up to the stop sign at this point there was no stopping for me. i was looking and watching the guy in the truck when he dicide to punch the gas and not stop complltly at the sign to make a left hand turn. that when i said o **** he not stopping so i punch the peddles as hard as i could to get out the way. at this point he had just hit me in the rear of the bike right where my peddle goes though it whole motion around. some how he missed my body and foot but if my foot and leg was in the back stoke it would be broke or worse. some how i stayed standing and did not get hit by the car on my left side that was just trailing behinde me.the driver fowoloing me said he thought he was gonna clip me and run me over after i got hit by the guy in the truck. im glad he was watching me and was able to move over. after this guy hit me he stop in the northbound lane for just enough time for me to get the make of his truck and color and the first 3 number of his plate before he took off. then some guy asked me if i was ok and chased him down. the old lady on the road that he stopped right in front of told the cops that she thought i was gonna be dead when she saw this guy hit me and started to cry saying im glad your alive. i was on the phone for 4 minutes and 23 second according to my cell time at this time the dispatch and the cop was at the spot i got hit and was trying to calm me down with the guy that just hit coming back to the sceen of where he hit me. i dont know what made this guy come back but im glad he did when he did i said what the **** you did not see me and he said no im sorry i did not see you there while the cop was trying to put cuff on him. the cop said how did you not see him i saw him 3 blocks down the road with that vest on. went and got check out with the ambulace cause they made me i must have hit the peddles really hard cause i tore an acl in my right leg somehow and did not even now i did that until hours after but kepth saying my leg hurts. the docter think my addrenile kicked in i pushed show hard trying to get out the way that how i tore it. some how though all these i stayed standing and did not fall down at all dont know how i did though. the cop came back to the hospital and told me where i can get my bike at and said you should be happy you alive. but i d do have bad news you bike is not good. he also told me that he chould see my bike tire mark on the pavement slide 4 feet 8 and half inches two feet out of the bike lane.at this time my boss and hr was at the hospital and some of my family was too. the cop told my bother he gave the guy six ticket and my court date to go to court. my brother had gave me a ride home and we talked for a little bit. then he went and got my bike and man it is screwed the frame twisted both rims look like a taco dont know how the front tacoed thought cause he only hit my rear end the brake cable snaped and the weld post for the cable arm one of them broke off. this all i can see for now. but i think that only thing that saved me from getting ran over was that i was watching this guy and hit the peddles so hard trying to get out of his i tore an acl in my leg. i ride with a bike helement that is lost dont know where it went. i use high visiality stuff on my ride. i had two headlight one that stay steady and one that flashes all the time. i had 3 rear light on my bike all flashing all the time. i have refleters on my bike front and back and on my peddles and red viseablity tape on some spot of my bike. and high vise yellow bike jacket and vest also. but yet this guy did not see me cant figure that one out. will i lived though this to tell the story and thank my lucky star im alive and not to hurt. but i dont think im gonna be on a bike soon. I dont know what going on with the guy that hit me cause i only saw him long enough to put in the cop car. before the ambulace took me in cause they said i need to get look at. i hope this story will help reminde some people out there that you need to watch at all times and maybe me hitting the peddles and not lucking up my brakes saved my life im not really sure what did but my god was watching for me i according to what my mom said. might get some pic of the bike up soon if i can. but for now i must go back to sleep i had just got back up for a little bit snd decide to share this before i forget too. happy holiday everyone im know im happy to be alvie today to spend it with my friend and family.

Last edited by imrob; 12-19-2012 at 03:39 AM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2454 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 3670

Wow Guy! Glad you only got a torn ACL out of it, but that is quite an injury too! You really make me want to get some protective / reflective gear!

Glad to hear your ok! I bet that was quite a scare!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

I am happy that you are okay. I do question his "I didn't see you" comment. You had quite a lot of lights and a reflective vest on. I think what likely occurred was that he was trying to beat you through the intersection.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2418 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Just wow man. Very thankful you are alive to tell the tale.

~~~There will be moments of chaos, keep pedaling~~~

Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Buffalo-jon

Liked 740 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Hope you can recover some of your losses from that driver. That line "I did not see you" can be decieving. He probably saw you but it did not register. I've had drivers look right at me, eye contact and all, and still pull out right in front of me and then cover thier mouth as if to say oops. For some reason drivers don't like to recognize cyclists. I think I'm going to try that bike horn that sounds like a car.

It's the last great adventure known to mankind.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
aloerch

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you for telling this story. It shows that you never can be too careful and that it is best to ride very conservatively when dealing with cars. Hope you recover quickly.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
imrob

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloerch View Post
Thank you for telling this story. It shows that you never can be too careful and that it is best to ride very conservatively when dealing with cars. Hope you recover quickly.
will after going to the doctor. i have a surgey to fix this on friday. had to go back to the pd and fill out a sfull statement today also. i also found out that i did hit the ground and rolled like 10 time according to the 2 people statment no wonder why the cops and ambulace guy was trying to take me in so fast. i do got some big brusie and my bones and muscle are sore but and the leg is killing me the pain meds seem to be working ok!!!! one guy said after i was done rolling from the fall i rolled out of the street so fast and jumped right up and starting yelling for help and to get that guy. what funny is i dont rember falling or rolling out the street. the doc want to keep an eye on my sholder when the sweeling goes down they think i might have messed up some muscle in there too but it to fat for the xray right now so i go back for that tomorrow again too. but no brokens bones so i guess that good. still did not talk to the guy yet that hit me yet but he did ask the cop if i was ok the cop told him i was banged up but im alive so that what important. i want to tlak to this guy and see what he has to say about it and was thinking of sending him a letter or something.but buy now im sure he got most of the infor on everything but the police report is not done cause i had to do that today. Still missing my hellment. it funny how you dont reliza what all goes on in a split second. im waiting to get a full copy of the police report yet. and still dont know if i sue this guy pants off or not. that why i want to talk to him see if he cool guy or one of those you were in my way kinda guys.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
newleaf150

Liked 2324 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 5609

Thank you for sharing your story, imrob. I'm very grateful you're here and as relatively uninjured as you are. Your story is an extraordinary example of how situational awareness and immediate, correct response to danger can make all the difference between getting to live or or not. Sucks that it still happened, but I'm thrilled you're here to talk about it. Good looking out.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
rideSATX

Liked 69 Times on 43 Posts

I thought of this thread when I saw this pic on the chive

image-2234942787.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 956 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Dang man, that is crazy. At least you are alive. It's way easier to replace your bike and helmet then to replace you

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Quick Reply