You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Activism / Safety >

New Study on Cyclists Being Seen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
LarryM
Eocyclist

Bikes

Liked 619 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

New Study on Cyclists Being Seen

Good article on being visible from RoadBikeRider

Primary findings
  • Running full-time lights is safer than no lights at all.
  • A flashing tail light is safer than a steady (always-on) tail light.
  • A steady light worn on your ankle or heel makes you even more conspicuous.
  • Colorful (and fluorescent) clothing is fine for the torso, but even better at letting drivers know you're a cyclist if worn on your legs.

The findings are similar to the results of other older studies.

Last edited by LarryM; 07-20-2017 at 09:29 PM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4867 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 14134

How interesting! The findings make a lot of sense. I have to say I'd never considered always-on lights on my ankles, but their reasoning seem sound, as does the apparent evidence. Ditto the bright colors on the legs vs. torso.

Lots to think about. Thanks for posting this!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Dos_Ruedas

Bikes

Liked 5318 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I do my best to fit all categories, when I ride.
Flashing lights front and back.
Fluorescent jersey.
Bibs have florescent stripe on each leg.
White shoes and if light is low, florescent, reflective ankle straps.

I don't really care what I look like.
I just want drivers to see me early enough to give me space.
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Liked 538 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 370

I'm the same bright clothing, day running lights etc, always best to make yourself as visible as possible to prevent a accident & if your unfortunate to have one, one can't say you didn't make every attempt possible to make yourself visible to motorists 🏻
Old 08-05-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
bikebum1975
Rat Biker

Liked 69 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Been looking around for some running lights for the fork and seat stays. Hadn't thought about one for the ankles
Weather forecasts can be broken down into 2 categories: good biking weather, bad biking weather.

Honey, it's just a bicycle. and i REALLY need it to excercise, and to ride it to work.(hehe)

Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then..

Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #6
Hawkowl

Liked 225 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Yet another study. Hope they got what they were after; probably a paycheck. In the real world it is common knowledge that with some exceptions people see what they expect to see. Conversely, they don't see what they don't expect to see. This fact is at the heart of magic shows, highway safety marking, and many other things.

So, it is safer to ride in a group. A bunch of bikes helps others see individuals. If that group is well lit and marked all the better. If you are riding an unlit bike at night in bad weather on a rural road your chances of having a bad outcome are much elevated.

Wear bright clothing that mimics highway workers, show lots of lights, and be where people to see bikes and you stand the best chance.

Besides; the cyclist has as much responsibility, or more, as the motor vehicle to avoid a collision.

Last edited by Hawkowl; 08-09-2017 at 03:12 AM.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2842 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 1577

People can't see cyclists at night..........I ride in the daytime when I want to be seen..............but still not in roadways. My primary mission on a bicycle is to ride where it does not matter if motorists see me or not. Takes all the stupid out of the realm of possibility. Secondary is to ride where motorists cannot go without needing a hospital if they do because their vehicle won't make it.

Last edited by i12ride; 08-09-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #8
ironlungs

Liked 5079 Times on 2472 Posts
Likes Given: 8196

Quote:
Originally Posted by i12ride View Post
People can't see cyclists at night..........I ride in the daytime when I want to be seen..............but still not in roadways. My primary mission on a bicycle is to ride where it does not matter if motorists see me or not. Takes all the stupid out of the realm of possibility. Secondary is to ride where motorists cannot go without needing a hospital if they do because their vehicle won't make it.
not that I disagree with all of what you said, I do partially disagree with riding at night. If done properly, well lit and with reflectives on, in my opinion, I'd rather ride at night than the daytime, on roads. Same road I can freely ride with no worries, at night, it becomes a saddle puckerer during the daytime!
As for agreeing with stupid and night riding...THAT EQUATION is totaled correctly when those stupid idiot people ride their bikes with NO LIGHTS and RIDING INTO ONCOMING rather than with traffic! I've seen them, and came ever so close to hitting head on, or sideswiping them because they are unseen! Thanks for sharing your thoughts i12.
People Like This 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2842 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 1577

My first 2 statements were chocked full o sarcasm.....somewhat. I was never implying riding at night is stupid.......unless done without reflective clothing, lights reflectors or riding against traffic. I love riding at night, just not in the street. Same as day, seeking non-motorized routes. I know it may be limiting to some but I feel no pressure and generally have no reason to ride in traffic. I'm scared for people riding in traffic day or night.......too many inattentive beligerant tards for me..........all the flashing blinking reflective neon vegas strip lighting in the world cannot defeat that. But each must form their own threshold where self preservation takes over.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #10
kd5nrh

Liked 116 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Easy solution, just cover your entire bike in reflective film:
New Study on Cyclists Being Seen - Activism / Safety
The UFO Bike... Retro-Reflective Film Covers All.
by KTesh, on Flickr

newleaf150 Likes This 

Quick Reply