You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Activism / Safety >

New Study on Cyclists Being Seen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
maelochs
Old, fat, and slow

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There is no magic fix. Look, people pull in front of motorcycles with a pair of one-million candlepower headlights blazing away. People pull out in front of trucks and other cars.

I don’t worry about bright clothes .... if they aren’t looking I could be naked or wearing black. They aren’t looking.

I use at least one flashing tail light from dusk through dawn, and at least one bright headlight, sometimes with a blinking white light.

I saw a study like the one above, and now have reflectors on my shoes.

Still .... sorry to say it is luck and fate and increased awareness which keeps cyclists alive. If cars drive into other cars .... what is a blinking tail light going to do for me?

After decades on the road, I rely on my sense and my senses.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelochs View Post
There is no magic fix. Look, people pull in front of motorcycles with a pair of one-million candlepower headlights blazing away. People pull out in front of trucks and other cars.

I don’t worry about bright clothes .... if they aren’t looking I could be naked or wearing black. They aren’t looking.

I use at least one flashing tail light from dusk through dawn, and at least one bright headlight, sometimes with a blinking white light.

I saw a study like the one above, and now have reflectors on my shoes.

Still .... sorry to say it is luck and fate and increased awareness which keeps cyclists alive. If cars drive into other cars .... what is a blinking tail light going to do for me?

After decades on the road, I rely on my sense and my senses.
I'll agree with you on most of that. Not gonna stop me from trying to make myself as visible as I can tho. Really I suppose it's in hopes that something bright and flashy might catch someones attention if even out of the corner of their eye at the last minute.

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply