You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Industry & Events > Activism / Safety >

What is the best helmet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Haylee

What is the best helmet?

I'm assuming they are all similar. Wondering if there are some that're better than others, don't wanna cramp my style too much

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Gandalfe
'57 Schwinn Wasp

Bikes

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well, I'm guessing it depends. If you just ride the bike on short commutes, in town, maybe cheap is best. If you're gonna wear them for a longer ride think safety first and then comfort. Here is the last Consumers' Guide recommendation for the Top 6 Bicycle Helmets. The Bell Citi looks good to me.

Don't forget to read the What to Look For section:

Each year, more than 500,000 bicyclists -- many with head injuries -- are admitted to hospitals, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Bicycle helmets are designed to prevent or minimize this type of injury. Since 1999, all bicycle helmets made or sold in the U.S. must comply with CPSC safety standards, which require helmets to provide protection against an 11 mph impact on simulated rocks and curbs and a 14 mph impact on a flat surface, according to the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute (BHSI).

If safety is your only priority, an inexpensive bike helmet will probably suit your needs just fine. More expensive helmets earn their price tag because they are lighter and have more ventilation, which appeals to serious cyclists who ride for hours. Although there's a lot of overlap, helmets are often categorized in the following ways:

Read more...

Blog at: http://biskey7.wordpress.com

Last edited by Gandalfe; 02-09-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Weav
GiddyUp

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Haylee, what kind of riding do you do? You can get away with different types of helmets depending on what you are riding (road bike, mountain biking, city biking, commuting). I can make some recommendations if you are looking for a road bike helmet but other than that someone else would have to chime in.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 5554 Times on 2843 Posts
Likes Given: 4961

I'd say that it really depends on your definition of "best". Would that be the one that offers the most adjustments for a good fit, or the most protection, or is the lightest, or has the most ventilation? Or maybe it just matches your kit. If you're on a budget, it might be the one that is most affordable.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Weav
GiddyUp

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yes there are some that are better than others. From a safety standpoint there isn't much difference, it's mostly marginal. But you can get things like better ventilation, better graphics, better straps, better fastening mechanisms.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
froze
Banned

Liked 537 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The best helmet is one that fits both front to rear AND side to side. If it fits loose enough that you can (after adjusting) knock the helmet with your hand nearly half off your head it's not the helmet for you, it should barely move. I have an odd shaped long narrow head to go along with my odd brain, but I digest, anywho recently I tried all the helmets in all the LBS's in my town and could find none that fit right; then I heard that Lazer helmets fit odd heads so I ordered one just to see if it would fit my and luck be on my side it did. Helmet makers use to make more helmets that fit my kind of head or at least provided a variety of thickness of padding so you could make it fit, but they no longer do that, not sure why, maybe to save 10 cents in padding?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Weav
GiddyUp

Bikes

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hey I have heard good things about the fit of Lazer's and am going to order one. Which one did you end up getting? Their fit retention system is pretty unique.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
froze
Banned

Liked 537 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I got the Lazer Magma Timeless (matte white). It's no longer in production, I got a close out sale for $36 at Niagara Cycles where it had retailed for $90.

Edit: I found it on sale, probably the last few since this was the only place I could find it and it's still at Niagara. I tried to paste the address but that failed. Go to Amazon and search in Sports and Outdoors and then search for Lazer Magnum Timeless helmet.

Also read my review of the helmet on the Amazon site.

finally got a direct site to Nigara with the listing: http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=409419

Last edited by froze; 03-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13226 Times on 7018 Posts
Likes Given: 10727

Weav those look interesting, next time I'm due I might have to look at one of these: Helium White Silver

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Last_Place_Pete

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

On the topic of Lazer helmets, and helmets in general... Do "urban" helmets offer more protection than "road" helmets, or just different styling? I'm going to be commuting by bike (about 7mi/rt) on roads where traffic can get a bit on the heavy side from time to time. If I'm going to be wearing a heavier helmet, I'd rather it protect my melon more than just look pretty..

Quick Reply