You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health >

'bent legs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3656 Posts
Likes Given: 13932

'bent legs

Took the Gekko in to work yesterday for my first commute on it.

Holy cow.

Man, I found lower body muscles I never knew I had.

Hip muscles are beyond sore and my calves were cramped like no other.

If I ride 3 x a week for the next month, I'll have a lower body made of unobtanium!

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Liked 4494 Times on 2090 Posts
Likes Given: 12991

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
Took the Gekko in to work yesterday for my first commute on it.

Holy cow.

Man, I found lower body muscles I never knew I had.

Hip muscles are beyond sore and my calves were cramped like no other.

If I ride 3 x a week for the next month, I'll have a lower body made of unobtanium!
Nice! Between the trike and the DFs, sounds like you could end up in great shape. Are the differences in muscle use large enough that you could recover from riding the trike on a DF and vice-versa? That'd be sweet.

Either way, you suck for reminding me how much I like trikes

kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12247 Times on 6503 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

The only trike I have EVER seen was when my wife and I road the Rails to trails path New River Trail. We are thinking about going back in October to ride it again.

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
omnivox42

Bikes

Liked 2431 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

My 3 year old rocks a trike and I dont hear any nonsense about soreness from him ;-).

Seriously though. I am glad you are digging your new wheels. It is always fun to find muscles that you didn't know you had especially by surprise.
People Like This 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
The only trike I have EVER seen was when my wife and I road the Rails to trails path New River Trail. We are thinking about going back in October to ride it again.
I see trikes in spurts - none for weeks, then I'll see a bunch over acouple of days. I once passed 4 trikers cycling together - 3 on tadpoles and one on a delta - on the MUP near my house. I really wanted a pic, but missed it. I've never seen a trike off the MUP, though. Odd.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

I *think* I could alternate DF/trike days but yesterday, my calves were so cramped, it honestly looked like my calves were "cut" you know, like a bodybuilder? I had huge holes/dimples, insane. I've found resting for a minute or so and some energy chews does the trick.

What kills me though, is it was 94 yesterday so I had a 6" turkey from subway on post. I did this on purpose for the sodium, yet I still cramped!

I can't ride a DF very much the past few weeks, my left arm/hand has gotten so bad I can't hold on. I'm thinking of modifying an old Avenir bar-end I have to see if I can make an arm rest.

Omni, funny you say that, I saw a little girl on a tricycle on the boardwalk and as I pulled up (I was on the road) I said "Hey, I like your tricycle!"

She didn't get it, but the mom and dad got a really good laugh at it.

It seems most people are afraid to pass me, like it's a wheelchair/mobility device. Doesn't bother me any, I'd rather they wait and take a wide berth than get buzzed.

Leafy- I know what you mean, from what I have been reading, it seems most ONLY ride their trikes on MUPs. That's fine and dandy, but I prefer commuting as well. Besides it cost me $58 to fill my Jetta with regular Glad I don't have my Merkur anymore, that required premium!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
mars_yeldir

Liked 344 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Any reason you went with a trike over say a high racer recumbent? Just curios as I am oogling the Bacchetta Strada.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

I ride year-round, snow doesn't bother me but the ice does, so I like the three wheels. I also chose a trike since if I start to drop a bike, I'd have a hard time holding it up with my left arm/hand.

I also intend on doing a bit of touring, my plan is to ride from here to Lake George, NY next August and maybe consider heading up to Montreal to see some family. I didn't want to have to worry about load shift/balance.

I considered a high-racer, was looking at the Giro 10 in the gorgeous Bianchi celeste color scheme but I prefer the 3 wheels. I also find the trike to be more fun, kind of like a kart.

I might even head to Rola's for Richmond in 2015!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
mars_yeldir

Liked 344 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Cool! I think the trike would be a blast to ride. We have a shop nearly that sells recumbents. I tried out a Rand something or other. Was a long cruiser type. Didn't care for it too much. I need to go try out some others, but gotta get the $ first.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
newleaf150
Deranged Touring Cyclist

Knee,

As an aspiring touring cyclist, I read a lot of cycle touring logs. One of the biggest differences I've seen from logs of DF tours vs. those done on recumbent trikes is the way trikes are treated by cars - they generally do FAR better with motorized traffic than do DF cyclists.

The theory I like is trikes are so weird looking and unusual that motorsts are more likely to notice and give them a wide berth. For whatever reason, DF tour logs are far more likely to contain complaints about motor vehicles/passing maneuvers, where quite a lot of trike logs talk about how nice motorists are - over the same roads, in some cases at almost the same time. There are always exceptions, of course.

Another possibility/explanation is that riding a trike forces you to 'take the lane', like it or not. You just can't squeeze a trike onto the very edge of the road the way you can (but never should) with a 2-wheeler. This increases safety (as-discussed in other threads) by forcing motorists to wait to pass until it's safe, as cars have no more luck squeezing by a trike in the same lane than the trike does of not 'taking the lane' to begin with.

I'm really interested to hear how your experience goes, especially when you're able to switch back and forth between your trike and the DF.

Quick Reply