You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health >

Does anybody here do LSD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
burnthesheep

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is so important below, I'm going to quote it twice......

I've ridden a year and 4 months now. A lot of my improvement has been from "just riding". The rest, has been training planning.

I don't have 10 hours a week to spend farting around at endurance miles pace at 40watts under steady state pace. I have 5 hours on average per week, maybe 6 to improve.

I'd say if you can't afford coaching and only have about that amount of time, but want to do some Cat 5, 4, or maybe even 3 racing. Or complete a century of fondo.........pickup the book: The Time Crunched Cyclist. It addresses all of those.

It's hard work, but it works. You're not spending 5 to 7 hours a week farting around at 40 to 50 watts under steady state on group rides and endurance rides. You're doing tough interval work with "some" endurance mile or group rides.

The hard intervals gets a bad rap for being bad for you, but so is guzzling soda and french fries and sitting on the couch.

Pretty much in a year I'm now able to hang with people who've ridden 5 years plus. You can't "win" a sportive, but finished at the front of the breakaway group in a 50 miler locally where we averaged 22 to 23 mph and had to take some hard turns up front.

You'll always have those guys/gals around town who've ridden 8 hours a week for years on long group rides sharing wind who couldn't be bothered to put out 300 watts for more than a minute.

That's my $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Fitness trumps mileage
You can absolutely develop the fitness necessary to complete a challenging century or gran fondo with training rides that never exceed 3 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
Fitness trumps mileage
You can absolutely develop the fitness necessary to complete a challenging century or gran fondo with training rides that never exceed 3 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #32
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 13353 Times on 7090 Posts
Likes Given: 10813

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
This is so important below, I'm going to quote it twice......

I've ridden a year and 4 months now. A lot of my improvement has been from "just riding". The rest, has been training planning.

I don't have 10 hours a week to spend farting around at endurance miles pace at 40watts under steady state pace. I have 5 hours on average per week, maybe 6 to improve.

I'd say if you can't afford coaching and only have about that amount of time, but want to do some Cat 5, 4, or maybe even 3 racing. Or complete a century of fondo.........pickup the book: The Time Crunched Cyclist. It addresses all of those.

It's hard work, but it works. You're not spending 5 to 7 hours a week farting around at 40 to 50 watts under steady state on group rides and endurance rides. You're doing tough interval work with "some" endurance mile or group rides.

The hard intervals gets a bad rap for being bad for you, but so is guzzling soda and french fries and sitting on the couch.

Pretty much in a year I'm now able to hang with people who've ridden 5 years plus. You can't "win" a sportive, but finished at the front of the breakaway group in a 50 miler locally where we averaged 22 to 23 mph and had to take some hard turns up front.

You'll always have those guys/gals around town who've ridden 8 hours a week for years on long group rides sharing wind who couldn't be bothered to put out 300 watts for more than a minute.

That's my $0.02.
https://stagescycling.com/us/news/training-tips-threshold-intervals/?utm_content=bufferebf8f&utm_medium=social&utm_sou rce=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #33
burnthesheep

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, that's similar to some stuff I've done.

My plan had me doing some of that early in the plan, and then some over/unders.

3x12min of over/unders where you do 2min under and 2min over. 8 min rest between sets.

So if your "test" ftp at the start of the plan was 250w, you'd do overs between 250-260w and unders between 220 and 230w.

So, one rep may look like:

230, 260, 230, 260, 230, 260 if each is 2min

Early in the plans you "get off easier" because your unders are longer than the overs. Then later in the plan your overs start to equal your unders.

Also earlier in the plan, the sets are only 8min. Then 10min. Then 12min.

The point is that your intensity factor "IF" for workouts will have to be higher if you don't have as much time in your schedule to train.

Quick Reply