You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health > Gym Recumbent vs. Road bike trainer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 561 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Gym Recumbent vs. Road bike trainer

There has been an ongoing issue with the treadmills at the gym I go to, they are failing and not working properly, most notably with respect to speed. They are starting to surge and will not hold the speed I want to run at. When I first started working out it was all I could do to run a 16 minute mile. I am now running sub-eight minute miles and the treadmills just aren't doing well at thos speeds. Most of them slip really bad at those speeds but they have three bigger and more heavy duty ones. Ive been using those but one by one they have all developed either slipping issues or speed surge issues.

They gym is aware of the issues but apparently are in no hurry to fix it, though last night I did see one of them with an out of order sign on it, a second was in use and they guy running on it, running at a fairly good clip, said he was having no issue with surging. I know it to be one they recently worked on so maybe it is fixed. The third machine is still not working properly.

That sent me over to the recumbent bikes to get some cardio intervals in. I was able to get a decent workout on that. However, I noticed that they had a power meter on them. I didnt notice it until the end of my intervals. I was doing my intervals based on cadence which is what I do on my trainer at home.

After noticing the power meter, it occured to me that perhaps this would be a good machine to do my Time Crunched Cyclist intervals on. However, I have concerns that it being a recumbent bike whether or not it would be as effective since it is a different riding position. Would it still be a benefit to my road bike cycling?

If so, I would like to do my CTS field test on the recumbent since I would have the power meter to go by.

So would doing the CTS field test be as effective on a recumbent as it would be on a spinner bike? Would doing the Time Crunched Cyclist training intervals on a recumbent be effective?

The only down side is that I did not see where it recorded average power and average cadence, there was only a real time reading as far as I could see, nothing that tracked the overall average.

The downside to doing the training at home on my bike trainer is that I have no power meter and thus would have to use heart rate for tracking effort, which is not going to be as accurate.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
INTEGRATE

Liked 589 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 290

If I may reprise my role as training Debbie Downer, I'd have to say no. Indoor trainer is better. The angle of a recumbant is similar to that of the leg press.

The issue there is the lack of freedom of motion for the pelvis leaving you at risk for potential L3-L5 disc issues. Plus, by sheer virtue of being seated, you put 40% more pressure on the lumbar spine (Mel Siff, Supertraining), that number can go up to 90% once you start adding movement.

Plus, you sit all day at work, why would you sit at the gym to train? We are meant to be verticle. If you want to blow your heart rate through the roof, have a trainer at your gym show you "finishers" and "metabolic circuits." This will put you into an oxygen debt induced lactic acid hell that will blow your cardio fitness through the roof without having to ride.

Yes, I am saying you DON'T need to ride to get more fit on the bike. IF you do it the right way. IF you are moving correctly. IF you're willing to put in the time in the pain cave to pull it off. I've seen people use kettlebell swings as their cardio 4 times a week, ride one day a week, and crush people on group rides.

The recumbant bike could also put you into a posterior pelvic tilt (opposite of sway back) putting the low back into flexion which we know is not good for you.

If you've got an iOS device, Kinetic makes an app ($250 it think) that has power capabilities without the whole $1000 for a power tap wheel thing.

Al Painter, NASM CES, PES, BA

Never attempt any new exercises mentioned in the fitness forum without a thorough evaluation from a physician, personal trainer, strength coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist or sports chiropractor. To do so without their consent, is to do them at your own risk. Riders/racers at the high school level must obtain written parental consent to request training advice via direct message.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
StormStrikes
Bikes

Thank you Integrate. You are not being a downer, I suspected that it would not be all the favorable because of the riding position and one of the reasons I have not used the recumbent bikes there.

There are no trainers at my gym, at least none that I am aware of and definitely not there when I go workout (after midnight). But I will look up those routines and try to get them integrated into my routine.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
INTEGRATE

Liked 589 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 290

If you go to NASM.org, you should be able to find trainers in your area. You need to have someone show you these things with a keen editor's eye. They can be really effective, but can also get tricky on you real quick too!

What about a sports chiropractor or Physical Therapist who also has CSCS credentials? I can't emphasize enough how another set of eyes can transform your workouts and blow your results through the roof!

Al Painter, NASM CES, PES, BA

Never attempt any new exercises mentioned in the fitness forum without a thorough evaluation from a physician, personal trainer, strength coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist or sports chiropractor. To do so without their consent, is to do them at your own risk. Riders/racers at the high school level must obtain written parental consent to request training advice via direct message.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
StormStrikes
Bikes

There is only one sports medicine doctor around here that I am aware of and I am not sure of his credentials. That said, Ive never been to a chiropractor in my life or physical therapist for that matter so I would have to look them up in the phone book and see what we have around town.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

INTEGRATE Likes This 

Quick Reply