Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health > returning to cycling after the flu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
slowe

returning to cycling after the flu

I ride an average of 3 times a week with the club in a "c" group 14-16 mph.For the last 3 weeks I have not been able to ride due to the flu combined with chest congestion.How should I go about returning to pre-flu form which found me in a fit state.I am preparing for a metric century in march and a century in may.I am 65 and otherwise in good health.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

The same way you did before the flu.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

The flu should not have affected your fitness level that much. You should get it back very quickly provided the virus and its affects are cleared out.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3501 Times on 2036 Posts
Likes Given: 3436

Were you sick for the full three weeks, or just off your bike for that time? If it was the former, I would suggest a trip to the doctor before pushing yourself.

Other than that, you'll need to work your way back up incrementally, depending on how you feel. If it was me, I'd put some easy miles in first, to make sure my legs are ready to get back in the game. Then I would put in some longer, moderate speed miles, eventually adding some intervals into the last 3rd of each ride, building to 3x hard intervals per week, with rest between. No hard intervals in the week before the century. Feel free to modify that plan to suit your own needs. But that's probably what I shoot for.

As always, get a second opinion before you take any advice.

synack Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
INTEGRATE

Liked 589 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 290

+1 to Hack. Let your doc determine when you can hit it with frequency/intensity again.

Al Painter, NASM CES, PES, BA

Never attempt any new exercises mentioned in the fitness forum without a thorough evaluation from a physician, personal trainer, strength coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist or sports chiropractor. To do so without their consent, is to do them at your own risk. Riders/racers at the high school level must obtain written parental consent to request training advice via direct message.

Quick Reply