Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health > rynoman03's Goal To A Healthier Me Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2383 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 3634

rynoman03's Goal To A Healthier Me Thread!

So about July of 2011 I had enough with being fat, overweight, obese, out of breath, and just plain tired all of the time. With all of those things working against me I was also very fed up with my current job that I'm still at.

I knew hey no one want's to hire the "FAT GUY." So I took it upon myself to do something about it. I got back on my fitness website that I have used before www.myfitnesspal.com. I started walking when I could and watching my calorie intake.

I was 268-270lbs on a good day and I am still 5'8" tall. A real porker!

2 weeks after starting this magnificent journey I bought a pair of K2 rollerblades off eBay. By far the best investment I ever made! I've went through 2 pairs of wheels and 3 sets of bearings and put almost 360 miles on my rollerblades alone. I wouldn't have had to replace the bearings the first time but I went out while raining a few times and ruined them.

I also had two weddings to go to. My best man's and my brothers. One in Aug and one in Oct. With my hard work and dedication I lost 15lbs before my brother's wedding in Oct. 2011.

Fast forward to this past spring. I was down 35 lbs and gaining on my goal of 195. That's the magic number where my BMI is no longer considered "Obese" I continued to rollerblade all through the summer until I started working out with my cousin whom likes to run.

I started the C25k plan (couch to 5k) and got all the way upto week 5 where I was running consistent 9 minute miles. Not bad for a fat guy in my opinion. Then that's where my fitness took a turn. My grandfather died in August and I injured my back in Sept lifting a box at work. It took a good month or two before I feel back to my old self. I gained back some weight. I was down to 212 then gained back to 223.

I've tried running again while I still like it I can't get motivated to do it like I was everyday. That's when I thought about cycling. I got my "Wallgoose" from a friend for $50.00 and started cycling and fell in love with the sport. Then recently I have fell on some deals where I've been getting some parts and bikes for free. I'm currently working on a new/used build frame up.

I still rollerblade from time to time and jog ect. I'll probably throw in the blades tomorrow for a change in pace and take my dog out.

Since joining this community I've gotten back down to 215 again in just a month and half. I owe everyone of you a thanks for helping me find another passionate sport to be fit in and putting up with my questions and comments.

Pics / Progress photos below.

weightlosstimeline.jpg   2012-08-09_18-29-47_552.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Keep up the good work! I'm on the same plan as you ... 250-260 and down to 218 today! But I'm 6'1".

Here's to 199 and counting!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

While I have never struggled with weight, I really like to see threads like these where someone has recognized something about themselves and has done something about it!

Congratulations!
Looking great!

The bike seems to be the flame that can melt fat, clear your mind, and make you at peace. I love it.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6118 Times on 3453 Posts
Likes Given: 5504

Awesome man, just awesome! My hat is off to you. When you put that out like that in public
and back it up with photos that takes guts to me!

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
newleaf150

Liked 2291 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 5501

Ryno,

My hat is off to you, Sir! Well done. It takes guts to just come out and post this kind of story. It shouldn't, but it does. Thank you. You and your story are an inspiration.

While I've never had obesity issues myself, a lot of people who are very near and dear to me do, and I've seen them struggle with it day in and day out. A couple have had the willpower to quit tobacco, but still can't drop the unwanted pounds.

It gladdens my heart to hear about those who are succeeding in the battle to stay fit and healthy. Good for you to have found your motivation and then put in the work to feed and expand on it.

May you go on shedding those pounds until you're in the range you're after. Thank you for sharing your story.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Thanks Guys! I'm shooting for 195 first then the 170's. I can do it if I keep my diet up. Letting it slip for the fatty foods or binge eating occasionally kills me. I still have that fat guy appetite occasionally.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 561 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 95

That is awesome work my friend. Keep it up!

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Thanks I'm currently down 52-53lbs. I hope I can get to 210 by Christmas. If I get some riding in this weekend that will help alot!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 501 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 292

That is awesome! Keep up the great work, stay motivated, stay fit and stay strong!

I'll share with you my little story as well...

Back in 2010 I deployed to Afghanistan. While there I was involved in a few close calls and I found my fitness was letting me down when I needed it most. There really is only 4 things that will keep you alive in life and death situations. They are knowledge (training), will, strength (fitness) and luck. I was well trained and had the will to survive. I lacked my usual fitness. But a little luck got me through.

Since I got back, I've gotten myself back into shape and continue to build. So, keep it up!

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3503 Times on 2037 Posts
Likes Given: 3442

That's pretty inspirational. I'm dealing with some of the same things as you, plus crazy long hours at work, and since moving from the beach to high desert, have had serious breathing issues requiring two surgeries. I don't get nearly as much exercise as I would like, which is ironic, because most of the time, I am only getting out to test some new gear. That depresses me a bit, because when I lived in Australia, I raced BMX competitively. Now I'm fighting to breathe some days.

I can't change the work situation (my wife isn't able to work right now), but thanks to the contributors to my two sites, I've been able to free up some time to get more exercise. Recently, I made some changes to my diet - no more wheat was a big one, and hopefully that will help with my allergies. I can ride 100 miles easily, but not at the pace I need to be at for burning fat and building my fitness level. Just can't get enough oxygen in me. So my goal is simply to work on that, then get back to the leaner, meaner me.

Keep us updated.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.
People Like This 

Quick Reply