Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health > For those about to Rock: The wonder drug!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 6028 Times on 3421 Posts
Likes Given: 5468

For those about to Rock: The wonder drug!

I thought about posting this in professional cycling but for a couple of reasons I am putting it here.

I really have, or had, no idea about EPO and other substances being used, or may better said ,being abused.

This paragraph really caught my attention just because I am so uneducated on the subject matter. It would have simply been a risk I would not be willing to take. Of course, that could fall in the category of "ignorance is bliss" by those who first started trying it and dying from it.

In time the dangers were learned in cycling. As well as a portable centrifuge to measure their blood count, the typical pro cyclist in 1990s also invested in another vital piece of medical equipment: an alarm clock. Riders had to wake up in the night to start exercisng and get the blood flowing in case their ketchup-like blood began to clot and kill them in their sleep. And so it came that riders were going to bed with three or four travel alarm clocks ticking away on the bedside table, two to wake up at night plus a back-up in case the battery went in one during the middle of the night, plus a normal one to get up in the morning. In motels in France and Italy cyclists would rise at 3.00 am to suddenly start doing press-ups or ride their noisy indoor bikes.

http://inrng.com/2012/11/epo-the-wonder-drug/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

That's frightening, I wonder if we will start seeing cyclists from that era getting strokes in the future? (maybe when they're older)

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply