Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health > what do you eat before you ride?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
lloyd

what do you eat before you ride?

I have noticed that lately i've been getting really dizzy after i go on a long ride. i keep my hydration up, and usually eat something like a sandwich or some oatmeal before i go riding. Anyone know why this could be? What do you eat before/during a ride?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
JostRider

How long of a ride are you talking about, 20 miles, 50, 100? How many hours of cycling? If you are only eating a single sandwhich < 500 calories, and you are riding more than two hours, then I can understand this.

As a long distance rider with seven - eight years experience, I do NOT eat anything within three hours of a long event (more than 50 miles). I just start drinking when I start pedalling. I say drinking because liquid calories can be more easily digested and pass through your system and become usable energy quicker, depending on the kind of calories you ingest. Take a look at Hammer Nutrition's website and look at their knowledge base for very good, real scientific and real world information.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
I have noticed that lately i've been getting really dizzy after i go on a long ride. i keep my hydration up, and usually eat something like a sandwich or some oatmeal before i go riding. Anyone know why this could be? What do you eat before/during a ride?
Complex carbs (like oatmeal) with some, but not a lot of protein. Sandwiches are ok, if you use whole grain bread and not a ton of meat and cheese. Protein is hard to digest and too much will make you feel like crap. What is too much depends on you. PB&J's work well. Whole wheat pasta is also good. Simple carbs burn up too fast and cause your blood sugar to spike and then it crashes causing you to feel tired and fatigued. The "what to eat" thing really varies from person to person and requires some experimentation. What works for me, may not work for you.

It sounds to me like you are just not consuming enough calories for the amount of riding that you are doing. You may want to eat a little more and carry a flask of something like Hammer Gel. Take a shot periodically to keep your energy up and to use in case of the dreaded bonk.

Another thing to consider, especially in the summer, is electrolyte replacement. I sweat like a pig in the summer. I've been on rides where I've had to fill my Camelbak as many as 3 times. I put electrolytes directly into my water to make sure that they are getting replenished.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
BigDumbBear

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I will usually eat 3 eggs on some whole wheat tortilla shells. It seems to give me plenty of energy, protien, and it's low carb so it's helping me drop some weight. Careful eating something like that before a ride on a hot day cuz eggs don't settle well with some people. I ALWAYS make a bathroom pit-stop before the ride to minimize the mid-ride-belly-rumble. A glass of orange juice helps me keep the sugar levels up followed by a couple glasses of water. plenty of water on the ride and some electrolyte replacers helps a ton too. I like the GU packs or gatorade mix in the water bottle.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
TxCyclist
Administrator
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 220 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I also eat breakfast tacos with eggs, ham or bacon and freshly made mild salsa. Down it with orange juice and it's a nice boost in the morning.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
COSMTBFAN
DAS BOOT!!

Pre-ride breakfast will consist of oatmeal, some egg beaters, high fiber english muffins, and a banana. That will usually take care of me!!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
phiberoptik

I would take some 5 hour energy, and energy / protein bars

Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Neuromancer

Maybe you should drink orange juice and bring some candy it might be blood sugar?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
JustJohnny

I would probably just eat a bag of doritos and drink a dr pepper

Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

I just ate two sausage logs from the Amish market. I'm definitely not riding today!

Quick Reply