LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
StormStrikes
Bikes

Liked 521 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Yo! Mr. Integrate

I wish I had listened sooner.

I finally got around to doing some leg exercises apart from the machines. I did Bulgarian Split Squats, Reverse Lunges & Single Leg Box Squats.

I discovered some interesting things.

1. I never got this kind of leg workout with machine based leg strength training and I was pushing all the weight I could.
2. My left leg is weaker than my right, which I did not know was even possible.
3. My balance and stability S-U-C-K-S!!
4. My legs are not nearly as strong as I thought they were.

I could not do a full single leg box squat. I had to instead squat down to a bench and even then I could not stabilize myself enough to get down to a full 90 degree angle on my leg. I have some serious work to do there.

I would have thought that after all the running, all the rowing, and the cycling my leg strength would have been better than it was, boy was I surprised. I didnt hold any weights in my hands with the Reverse Lunges and Bulgarian Squats, I just did those lifting my own body weight. I had some stability issues, particularly on the left leg, that I though holding weights through the reps would have made worse.

At any rate, I just wanted to say thanks. I wanted to do Farmer Walks tonight too but my legs were just toast after what little I did (4 sets, 8 reps on each).

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK
## The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2416 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Stormy good to see you on the band wagon. You have identified let deficiency and have lined up good exercises to help. Also, adding core stability exercises to your routine will help leg strength and balence, it's all connected.

Integrate has some great posts. Check out those hip bridges with bands or weights.

~~~There will be moments of chaos, keep pedaling~~~

Industry_Hack Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
StormStrikes
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivox42 View Post
Stormy good to see you on the band wagon. You have identified let deficiency and have lined up good exercises to help. Also, adding core stability exercises to your routine will help leg strength and balence, it's all connected.

Integrate has some great posts. Check out those hip bridges with bands or weights.
Yeah, that will be on Wed. nights. Ive got some good planks lined up, some burnout burpee's and maybe a stability ball exercise or two.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Industry_Hack Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2416 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Nice!

~~~There will be moments of chaos, keep pedaling~~~

Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
bikertank

Liked 400 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Part of the strength of single leg squats is the control provided by your glutes - specifically the g-med, have Integrate hook you up with some glute strengthening exercises - the problem is your quads which are probably pretty strong are trying to provide the control that your glutes should be provided

or

you are a massive pronator (flat foot) and you're screwed for controlling single leg squats due to to much internal rotation of your tibia during a squat

Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1282 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

I think there is a bit of a misconception about leg strength and cycling. Cycling really works out your lungs and heart and prepares your legs for endurance. (unless you are a masher).

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 500 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Fitness, just like in life, I live by this saying... a warrior who know's only one way leaves himself open to attack. It's good to cross train and use different training methods in order to become stronger.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
StormStrikes
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by synack View Post
I think there is a bit of a misconception about leg strength and cycling. Cycling really works out your lungs and heart and prepares your legs for endurance. (unless you are a masher).
Starting out, I was more of a masher. But thanks to much input from here I have moved away from that mostly and focus more on cadence. I still once in a while will just mash my way up a hill because I like it and I like to push myself that way, but generally my focus is more on the cadence and sustaining that over longer distances.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
StormStrikes
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertank View Post
Part of the strength of single leg squats is the control provided by your glutes - specifically the g-med, have Integrate hook you up with some glute strengthening exercises - the problem is your quads which are probably pretty strong are trying to provide the control that your glutes should be provided

or

you are a massive pronator (flat foot) and you're screwed for controlling single leg squats due to to much internal rotation of your tibia during a squat
I don't have flat feet, but when I did the exercises I did feel my angles trying to roll and Im not sure if its shoe related or just bad balance and core stability. I do have inserts in my shoes to help prevent pronation and Im wondering now if they are not becoming a hinderence. I may try taking them out and see if it changes anything. I have generally had to use inserts with higher arches because what most shoes came with did not cut it.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
StormStrikes
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero3one View Post
Fitness, just like in life, I live by this saying... a warrior who know's only one way leaves himself open to attack. It's good to cross train and use different training methods in order to become stronger.
Indeed. I used to tell people that I really did not want to be an 'expert' in any one thing, rather I wanted to be really good and multiple things. I think it forces you to go outside your comfort zone and really works your brain to think differently and as the saying goes, outside the box.

I am finding that fitness seems to be a really good place to apply that philosophy as well and the more I transition to compound exercises the more it seems to help me and the better I do.

Scotty
Bartlesville, OK

Quick Reply