You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Cycling Forums > Training / Health >

Zwift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Liked 431 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Zwift

Been using Zwift for a while now, & I've always noticed that the gradients never felt realistic.

I found out that the game defaults at 50% difficulty looking at increasing it to max as my target is to improve my hill climbing.

Has any one used Zwift at full difficulty & is it a benefit or does the extra load ruin the enjoyment of Zwift or become demoralising?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12447 Times on 6620 Posts
Likes Given: 10221

I used to wonder about that as well. Zwift seems to have a different way of dealing with gradient. I have also moved it to 100% and it was crushing! I did some research and asked tons of questions about it as well. In the end if you leave it alone it is still simulating the climb even though you may not feel that quad burn you associate with a hill out in the "wild" ,if you will, but believe me, it's working Your speed will steadily decrease pn a climb and you really have to either spin your a$$ off of work very hard, yes??

WHAT DOES IT NOT DO?
It is important to understand that lowering or raising Trainer Difficulty does not make your ride easier or harder in terms of power output. You still have to put out the same cumulative watts to move the same distance as before.

“Trainer Difficulty” really is a misleading name for the setting–something like “Elevation Feel” or “Trainer Realism” may be better. As Chris Pollotta said on the Zwift Riders Facebook group, “It’s a cadence control more than anything.”

https://zwiftblog.com/using-the-trainer-difficulty-setting-in-zwift/

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Last edited by rola643; 05-19-2017 at 12:47 AM.
GT-Tempest Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Thanks for the insight 🏻 think I might leave it at 50% & just go up a gear to feel the burn

Last thing I want is to feel crushed or did hearten about training, negative doesn't help you get back on the bike.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
cwtch

Liked 2910 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can it be bad for knees to have too much resistance ?
Kinda like riding in too large a gear on hills ?
I always ponder this on my trainer or maybe I am making an excuse to lower resistance.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

The other aspect of this is whether you are riding in ERG mode on a specific training plan or not. When I do free rides the resistance feels gawd awful real world to me!

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Hawkowl

Liked 209 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What is Zwift?

Just another trainer? Or,????

Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Virtual indoor riding software that uses, or can use, a dongle to communicate with your senors and tells you smart trainer what do do....basically

Zwift is a turbo trainer game that enables you to link you turbo trainer up your computer, your iPad and iPhone, letting you ride with other cyclists in a virtual environment, therefore helping to alleviate some of the boredom associated with indoor riding

https://zwift.com/
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/zwift-turbo-trainer-game-171798

* -Joe Friel
Hawkowl Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Hawkowl

Liked 209 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks. I'm thinking about a trainer and this will go into the decision tree.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
GT-Tempest
GT-Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola643 View Post
The other aspect of this is whether you are riding in ERG mode on a specific training plan or not. When I do free rides the resistance feels gawd awful real world to me!

I like the training plans with the erg that always felt good and realistic to the the wattage I was producing, it was always the free ride that lacked the real world feel of resistance.

If any of you are Looking at turbo trainers & software I certainly recommend the Zwift if your after a great social training platform & the wahoo kickr snap smart trainer has been faultless 🏻

Quick Reply