You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Fixed & Singlespeed > Best Singlespeed under $700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
crazyeight

Best Singlespeed under $700

I want to get a singlespeed, not fixed, as a commuter.

So many to choose from so I am looking for opnions on if you wanted a singlespeed and had $700 to spend what would be at the top of your list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
mediageni.us

That's an easy one. The Wabi Cycles Classic. I'm ordering one this week, after much searching.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
HandsomeRyan
♥'s Bicycles

Liked 48 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For commuting you'll want big tires. I'd suggest Kilo Wide Tire or the Fantom Cross Uno.

IMHO two of the best bang-for-your-buck SS commuter bikes available today.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
mediageni.us

I guess that it depends on what the commute entails. If wide tires and racks are more important than ride quality, then the ones you listed should be fine.

The Wabi is not for everyone. It's not a cookie-cutter, generic cheap bike. While it's a good value for the price, it was never intended to appeal to the value shopper the way BikesDirect bikes do. Rather than spec it to meet a certain price point, it was designed from the frame up to be a package that doesn't compromise.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
HandsomeRyan
♥'s Bicycles

Liked 48 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediageni.us View Post
If wide tires and racks are more important than ride quality, then the ones you listed should be fine.
Not trying to be rude, it's late and I've been up all night but -The term "commuter bike" generally means a bike capable of larger (often more puncture resistant) tires and racks to carry stuff. Focus on utility rather than aesthetics.

Why do you think this bike would offer superior "ride quality" for a commute? Tight "track" geometry is great for the track but it offers no real advantage for utility cyclists such as commuters.

FWIW- I wouldn't buy one of those Wasabi bikes simply because they don't list specifics for their components. Who made the "sealed bearing hubs" and rims or "cold forged aluminum crank"? At least BD is up front about what shiny bits are being bolted to their frames.

I'd like to add to the list- the Raleigh One Way is a tight little unit. Brooks saddle, canti brakes, fenders, forward facing dropouts.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
mediageni.us

I suppose that before we go any further, the OP should clarify his post. Is he really looking for a commuter bike, or is he after a single speed for commuting?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
crazyeight

I am looking for a commuter bike to get from home to work on the road only, no sidewalks or trails. So it needs to be a quick light bike. For simplicity I want a singlespeed.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
mediageni.us

So racks and fenders, or a stripped-down, lightweight bike?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
crazyeight

Stripped down. However, the roads from work and home are quite ghetto so even though it's road only, I need a bike that can handle a rough road.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
mediageni.us

Then I'll stand by my suggestion. Read what Richard has written about the wheelset on the Wabi, then decide if they'll be strong enough for you. You can also contact him for more info.

Quick Reply