Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Fixed & Singlespeed > Therapy Device Saved from the Dump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 185 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Therapy Device Saved from the Dump

I saw this three wheeled fixie in the trash. When I put it on the street and started pushing, I discovered the front wheel responded to the rear steerer arm only. I tried riding in reverse, but that was too awkward with its wacky huge platform pedal covers and backward response to arm direction. Fortunately the set-up instructions were attached, and after a trip home for tools & corrective lenses, I set it up so I could pedal going forward with handle bar steering. The ride home involved several blocks of streets under construction. The lumpy mounds of dirt made for a weird, listing ship kind of ride sensation.

I can't ride my two wheeled bicycle on street or trainer because of torn cartilage in both wrists and hands. I see this contraption as a means to get my legs pedaling again. The crank arms are only 125mm, wow. I removed restraining straps & back rest, and began tuning the neglected parts this evening.

The plan is to have some spinning fun till I'm healed, then donate if an agency will take it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
newleaf150

Liked 1814 Times on 1058 Posts
Likes Given: 4116

That's an interesting trike! I look forward to reading more about its refurbishment. Best of luck, and please keep us informed!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)

Bikes

Liked 3114 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 3249

Instant karma.

rynoman03 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Tuned. I need a banana seat.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
rynoman03

Bikes

Liked 1661 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 3044

Pretty darn cool! Who cares if it's pink. You needed a bike that fit your needs as your body allows and you stumbled onto one in the trash. Karma indeed! Just pay it forward when time allows!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
kneedrachen

Liked 4216 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 8716

This is the first post here that made me smile in a long time.

I'm sorry you're going through a long healing process, but this is good stuff!

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
offrdmania
Frickle Frack

Liked 142 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Think of the possibilities of that thing. Yank all the crap off the back, put a regular seat on it. Put a basket or flat bed on the back and it would be a great parts getter.

Take the pain, feel the burn. Single speed riding.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

I have thought of the possibilities. It has an existing derailleur hanger, a 7 speed cassette option, freewheel, IGH, crank arm extenders, 26" wheels and QR axles, plus front suspension fork, all as add-ons for this model. There is a rear stand-on flat bed available too. Our dog has arthritis, occasional flare-ups while out walking make for a long trip when he requires suit casing (75lb) to get him home. Being able to load him on a rear rack would be useful. However, this trike is so purpose built it would be a shame to muck with it. I left the seat belts attached to the saddle just so returning to stock would be simpler.

I really appreciate the assisting features engineered on this trike. The rear steer bar and lift handles are useful when maneuvering the trike in & out of the house and up & down from the porch. It's not too heavy either, and the frame is surprisingly well made.

With 1:1 gearing, small wheels, and short crank arms my cadence is extremely high. I must quiet the torso to smooth things out; not such a bad exercise in form.

Check out this nifty distribution block which links the two rear mechanical disc brakes to one brake lever.

Quick Reply