Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Fixed & Singlespeed > Who rides singlespeed and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

Who rides singlespeed and why?

Last night after our regular Thursday night ride, a guy came up to a group of us who were hanging out at the trail head having post ride beers and asked if we were all riding singlespeeds and why? I look around and probably 75% of our bikes were singlespeeds. The overwhelming response was because it was like riding a bike when we were kids. You just get on and ride. No worries about shifting, when to shift, or what's the best gear to be in.

I ride singlespeed about 95% of the time--road & mtn, but mostly mtn. I haven't been on a geared road bike at all this year.

So why do you all ride singlespeed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
tajcrews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its all about having fun to me. I love to ride my SS as long as I am in shape to do so. There are those seasons, like this one, that my saddle time has been so little that the SS can be a little less fun than others just b/c it kicks my butt so much. Riding a SS can also teach you alot about momentum which will help you a lot if you do decide to ride a geared bike again.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
bantam700

Bikes

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

easier to maintain, I can concentrate on the terrain instead of worrying about my gear and any spots where I'm going to need to make a fast shift, and for some reason the technical sections of the mountain bike trails I ride on seem to be easier using a singlespeed.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajcrews View Post
There are those seasons, like this one, that my saddle time has been so little that the SS can be a little less fun than others just b/c it kicks my butt so much.
That's what they make the 20t cog for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantam700
for some reason the technical sections of the mountain bike trails I ride on seem to be easier using a singlespeed.
I totally agree! I recently tried riding some rocky technical trails on my full squish Rocky and it sucked! The down hill was fun but riding through the flat and uphill rock gardens was very difficult on that bike. I guess that it was more the squishy suspension than the superfluous gears that hindered me. I like having a suspension fork on a hardtail frame for rock gardens. Also, singlespeeds don't have dangling shifty bits to get ripped off by rocks.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
TxCyclist
Administrator
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 220 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I ride a single speed most of the time. I really like simplicity of it. It's kind of a lifestyle thing that bleeds into biking. I still ride a multi when I do long distance treks.

Not a Member Yet? Register Here!

Please help out and answer an unanswered thread.
Unanswered Threads

DisabledCyclist Likes This 
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
BigDumbBear

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I love the single-speed for running around town and cruising to a buddies place for a few beers. The only worry I have on a SS is getting a flat. But, with good tires and liners, that thing is almost bullet-proof. I much preffer a possible drunk in public charge over a DUI. Anytime I wanna grab some drinks but don't have a driver home or a place to stay, I'm on the bike.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
hophead
Banned
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbBear View Post
I love the single-speed for running around town and cruising to a buddies place for a few beers. The only worry I have on a SS is getting a flat. But, with good tires and liners, that thing is almost bullet-proof. I much preffer a possible drunk in public charge over a DUI. Anytime I wanna grab some drinks but don't have a driver home or a place to stay, I'm on the bike.
Why are flats a problem on your ss? Just carry an extra tube, multi tool, and a CO2 inflator in a seat bag and your good to go. That is, unless you get two flats.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
TxCyclist
Administrator
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 220 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I rarely get flats in my road bike. My mountain bike is whole different story.

Not a Member Yet? Register Here!

Please help out and answer an unanswered thread.
Unanswered Threads

DCLXVI Likes This 
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #9
BigDumbBear

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Flats are just a pain in general. I carry the spare stuff needed. I just hate dealing with it. That's pretty much the only weakness found on a fixed gear bike though.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Andrew
Bikes

For me, fixed = simplicity and control. I love the direct, part of the machinery feel to riding fixed. Climbing is much easier on it (than in the equivalent gear inch on a geared bike) and it's a real motivation knowing that you have to get to the top in the one gear you have, no bail out!

I started riding fixed around 5 years ago (excluding any childhood tricycle!) when I used to live in central London (UK). I was a bit unsure at first and had a few incidents but persevered and now love it. It is now my prefered ride.

I've never off-roaded on fixed though... well, nothing significant anyway.

Quick Reply