Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Do I really need fancy pedals and shoes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
eynlai

Do I really need fancy pedals and shoes?

Ok, I'm a complete Newbie... So please don't hate me to much for asking the question in the Title.

I've been doing a bit of paved bike trail riding in Southern California area over the last 2 years on my Specialized Sirrus (hybrid). Anywhere from 25 miles to 75 miles per ride. I like the distance so I can "Zen" out, not really a need for speed. I been just riding in my sweats and tennis / running shoes.

Yesterday, I finally picked up a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp Double Rival (road bike) at a pretty good deal of $1700 new. I'm pretty sure I'll need some riding shorts or undergarment because the saddle on the Tarmac is virtually not there compared to my old trusty Sirrus... But do I really need the fancy pedal and shoes? Or should I? And why? And I'm looking at keeping it under $190 for shoes and pedal.

Advice?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)

Bikes

Liked 3115 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 3252

Once they are correctly set up, good shoes/pedals will keep you in proper alignment, and allow more efficient riding and a smoother pedal stroke. Of course, if that's not important to you...

Pricepoint offers excellent combo deals, but I suggest you check with your LBS so you can get the correct size, and have them help you align your cleats. If budget is a big concern, I'd spend money for the most comfortable shoes I could afford, and get some basic pedals for now. A $50 shoe/pedal combo will be more efficient than your Nikes and flat pedals. Shoes get lighter and stiffer (and uglier) as price goes up. Pedals get lighter, have better bearings, and sit lower on their axle as price goes up.

kixsand Likes This 
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
jeepster93

Liked 310 Times on 143 Posts

You need pedals/shoes.
They don't need to be expensive, but you should get a set.

The bike most likely came without.

I use mountain bike spd type pedals. They are easy to get in to/out of, have more float(heel movement),and the shoes are MUCH less geeky.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
photosbymark

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts

Yes you will find the extra expense worth it in the long run. Why??? With the shoes and cleats ie pedals, you can pull up as well as push down making the whole ride more efficient and faster. Don't ride in heavy traffic though till you get used to get in and out of the pedals.

As far as geeky, that train left my station a long time ago and I have a line that I will steal from a podcast.

Hello. My name is Mark, and I'm a Fred.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Industry_Hack

Bikes

This isn't meant to scare you off cleats, but it's a good read.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
JK13

Bikes

Corona, huh? I'm from Norco I'm curious where you ride there - I'm now in Colorado and can't imagine riding in the IE.
As to your question, once you get used to them, you'll find them much better than flat pedals. Like previously stated, you'll pedal more efficiently by using your entire stroke rather than just pushing down on the pedals. My husband was hesitant at first, too, so I started him out with "campus pedals" - flat on one side, SPD on the other. That way you'll have the flat pedal you're used to while learning how to use the cleats. I see this transition on a lot of noobs. I got his set at Performance for like $100 total - shoes and pedals. They came with what I call "commuter" shoes - they call them mountain bike shoes, but they look like normal shoes with recessed cleats - no tread or anything like "real" mountain bike shoes. They are easy to walk around in since they are flat, and you could wear them on your other bike, too. A good "fit" is a must, since cycling is a repetitive motion, and improper cleat placement can cause an injury.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
funetical
Slowin it up.

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't use them, but I have to buy new shoes regularly from using them up. I wear Chucks most of the time, and the cap always gets rubbed off.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
wild
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Bikes

Liked 1413 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 442

I rode about 4000 miles so far this year all on flat pedals and boat shoes that have a allmost flat tread. When I fell last year I was glad I was not cliped iin I was able to rool over to the sholder and get out of the way caus thay an't going to stop. If I had cliples pedals I might have bin able to unclip. I don't know why thay call them clipless caus you sure seam to be cliped to them
well that is my .02

Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Industry_Hack

Bikes

Wild, they're called clipless, because they have cleats, not clips. Remember clips?

Go back to post 5, and click on the words "good read". I promise you won't be disappointed.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.
salvage_bikes Likes This 
Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
LarryM
Eocyclist

Bikes

Liked 239 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Personally, I prefer toe clips. They do a good job of keeping your foot from slipping off the pedal and still let you move your foot around some or use almost any shoe.

Quick Reply