Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Hello all! New member here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
CWDaly

Bikes

Hello all! New member here.

I'm new here, been reading for a little bit. Wanted to say hi. At the moment trying to do my research pertaining which pedal and shoe combo to try for my road bike. The more I search the more complicated it gets. Hopefully I figure it out soon.
CWDaly
Ps. Anyone here a member of www.Zmotion.org (I'm thinking of joining that club)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
rynoman03
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2345 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 3607

Welcome! Enjoy yourself, help yourself to all the info we have, and make some new friends! Plenty of nice folks to go around here!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
koolkat13

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome I totally get what you mean about the complexity of cycling. Finding the best type of helmet could probably fill a short book!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Jahwarrior

Bikes

Liked 481 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 46

welcome.
the secret to finding what best works for you, is to find what best works for you. price, brand and reviews tend to sway a lot of people's decision, but it is my opinion that as educational as that may be, physically trying it out yourself is the best course of action.
maybe a local bike shop can let you test ride a few different set-ups to find the one that suits you.
unfortunately this sport is one that is ill-affected by elitism, meaning that there's the serious crowd, the "only the best" crowd and the recreational cyclist crowd.. opinions will differ and seldom do these separate camps agree on a particular product.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 956 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 14

welcome!!

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
carlharsch
Senile Member

Bikes

Liked 1417 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I just went through the same grueling process to determine which pedal system to go with. I finally opted to go with Speedplay and am very satisfied with my initial impressions. As far as shoes, I am limited to what's available in wider sizes (limited options) and Shimano seems to fit me best.

Welcome aboard!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Welcome, CWDaly! You will find a lot of good folks here and they are always willing to help!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
davereo
Bikes

Liked 3402 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 3391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwarrior View Post
welcome.
the secret to finding what best works for you, is to find what best works for you. price, brand and reviews tend to sway a lot of people's decision, but it is my opinion that as educational as that may be, physically trying it out yourself is the best course of action.
maybe a local bike shop can let you test ride a few different set-ups to find the one that suits you.
unfortunately this sport is one that is ill-affected by elitism, meaning that there's the serious crowd, the "only the best" crowd and the recreational cyclist crowd.. opinions will differ and seldom do these separate camps agree on a particular product.
This is very true. The only thing he forgot to include is the acceptance crowd. You will find them here. We accept everyone for who they are and what they strive to be. Welcome aboard saddle up and get on your best fitting cycling shoes.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
synack
The Back Row

Liked 1283 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDaly View Post
I'm new here, been reading for a little bit. Wanted to say hi. At the moment trying to do my research pertaining which pedal and shoe combo to try for my road bike. The more I search the more complicated it gets. Hopefully I figure it out soon.
CWDaly
Ps. Anyone here a member of www.Zmotion.org (I'm thinking of joining that club)
Find a pair of shoes that you love, first. Then figure out what road pedal works with that shoe (maybe a couple of models). The learning curve will be almost the same with most clipless pedals, but you gotta have a good shoe!

I use Look Keo2 Max pedals with Scattante shoes from performance bike. I will need to buy some new shoes though since I have been riding with these for a few years and I don't feel like they have enough arch.

I think next year will be my strongest cycling year.
I started a twitter account @SempreCycling
Strava
Bianchi Sempre 105

Sometimes a headwind is really a tailwind, and sometimes a tailwind is really a headwind, to your development. Deep Thoughts.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
CWDaly

Bikes

Thank you all for the welcome. I'll be heading to my LBS, in a few days. I was hoping to do all my shopping online, but you guys make very good points pertaining trying on the different shoes.

CWDaly

Quick Reply