You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum >

A necessary experience today, Flat Tire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7720 Times on 3709 Posts
Likes Given: 14133

i just use my shoelaces

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
i12ride
Spin Spin Spin

Bikes

Liked 2400 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

I used a buncha sarcasm on the last page............but I also use bike frame for truing stand with brake pads adjusted just barely wider than the hoop. Yes, my hands/arms do have built in torque wrench.....and am sad that the only certification places are both in 1 state, far away.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
TruElvis
Two "Slow" Spoke

Bikes

Liked 5723 Times on 2478 Posts
Likes Given: 8503

It's been shown many times that bike mechanics routinely overestimate their ability to judge torque correctly by feel alone. If I take my Carbon bike to a shop and see someone tightening a part on my frame without a torque wrench, that will be the last time I take it there. That said, I do my own wrenching so I don't have to worry about this scenario happening .
"Cycling is not about looking outward at those ahead or behind you, but inward. It's about discovering the depths of your physical toughness, and learning that your mental toughness runs just a little bit deeper than you imagined. It's not about being better than others, but being, for a few enchanting hours, better than yourself."
rushlake Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #24
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12447 Times on 6620 Posts
Likes Given: 10221

And torque has to many variables which is why for high stress/harmonics the automotive and many others use torque to yield

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel

Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #25
rushlake

Bikes

Liked 2487 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 3805

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
Thing is vs auto tools that set literally is enough tools to open a bike shop with two mechanics. Rush when you order your set go ahead and have one drop shipped to me. Thanks mate ! I'll hook you up sometime when I order something :P
Ok just send the address and hurry because if creeper gets one then there are only 2 left. And it's on sale now. Then when you order new tubes you can send the valve stem caps that you were going to throw away anyway to keep up your end of up the deal.

And instead of a punch on a headset I use a small length of 3/4" copper tubing. Copper is soft and doesn't damage anything. The copper will bend and deform but deliver enough to knock out.

Here's and oldie if anyone still wants to carefully remove an old Regina 5 speed freewheel.
File Type: jpg 20170519_181240.jpg (25.5 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-20-2017, 01:19 AM   #26
rola643
Two skinny Js
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 12447 Times on 6620 Posts
Likes Given: 10221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruElvis View Post
It's been shown many times that bike mechanics routinely overestimate their ability to judge torque correctly by feel alone. If I take my Carbon bike to a shop and see someone tightening a part on my frame without a torque wrench, that will be the last time I take it there. That said, I do my own wrenching so I don't have to worry about this scenario happening .
BTW, I'm not advocating not using a TW especially on those high dollar CF parts

We didn't evolve for more than two million years to sit in front of a TV eating potato chips and contracting lifestyle diseases. Humans were meant to be active, to move vigorously and strenuously - just as you do as an athlete.

* -Joe Friel
rushlake Likes This 
Old 05-20-2017, 01:25 AM   #27
cwtch

Liked 2910 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushlake View Post
Ok just send the address and hurry because if creeper gets one then there are only 2 left. And it's on sale now. Then when you order new tubes you can send the valve stem caps that you were going to throw away anyway to keep up your end of up the deal.

And instead of a punch on a headset I use a small length of 3/4" copper tubing. Copper is soft and doesn't damage anything. The copper will bend and deform but deliver enough to knock out.

Here's and oldie if anyone still wants to carefully remove an old Regina 5 speed freewheel.
Sounds great !
Glad you could see the value of the deal
I like that copper tubing idea. It is great thinking.
rushlake Likes This 
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #28
rushlake

Bikes

Liked 2487 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 3805

Quote:
Originally Posted by i12ride View Post
Geez, is all that stuff really necessary? All I have is tweezers, 2 screwdrivers, pliers, some allens, scissors & a swiss army knife. That's all I used up in Ashland to get certified at UBI.............didn't even have a spoke wrench. All the fancy people laughed.......until they found out who graduated at top...........
I'm with you on the allens.

http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/bicycle-repair/yourbolt-decoder

This one is a handy tool.
File Type: jpg 20170520_063927-1.jpg (24.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
cwtch

Liked 2910 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^ love those and these
A necessary experience today, Flat Tire. - Beginners Forum

Quick Reply