Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Noob road bike question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
bigjim71

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Noob road bike question

Im essentially brand new to road cycling. I have been riding a mtb for a couple years, but, getting out on a regular basis is tough, so, I have been riding the streets for about a month and a half and enjoying every minute of it.

I am using my mtb with street tires (2009 gary fisher wahoo) and its ok, but, I am really wanting to get a roadie.

My question/ concern is being 5' 8", 280 and 47yo what would be a good entry level bike for me and/ or what specific things should I be looking at concerning my size? Im in alright condition (but have PLENTY of room for improvement) and have been riding an avg of 12 miles 4 times a week.

I have been looking at the trek 1.2 or 1.5 (leaning towards the 1.5) but any advice will be welcome.

I have learned a bunch from these forums already and really look forward to what will be suggested for my situation.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i bought an old 80s road bike to try out and decide if i want to invest in a nice road bike. i already had a specialized hybrid i rode for run but was not sure if i would like a road bike.

find a cheap solid bike on craigslist and try it out while you decide what you might want. lets you see if you will like riding in that position for extended periods of time and lets you see things you want to look for on the nice bike.

when you stand over the used bike, make sure you can lift up the handlebars and not crunch the boys down there. if you cannot lift the front wheel up about 1-2" while standing over hte frame with your feet shoulder width apart, its too tall. i say this because i am 5'8 also and bought my old road bike without knowing how it should fit. mine is too tall. if mine was the right height frame, i would not even consider buying a new bike because this bike is comfortable, minus having to be careful when i come to a stop so i don't step into a hole and high center myself.

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3307 Times on 1961 Posts
Likes Given: 3363

Are you dead set on a road bike?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
newleaf150

Liked 2119 Times on 1142 Posts
Likes Given: 5090

BigJim,

Have you considered a touring bike instead of a all-up roadie? Touring bikes are designed to be ridden thousands of miles 'loaded' - front and rear panniers or a trailer - as such, they weigh a bit more but offer higher strength for those of larger stature.

The riding position is similar to a racer, but a bit more relaxed and comfortable - great when you're spending hours in the saddle, day in and day out.

Best of luck, however you end up going.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Jahwarrior

Bikes

Liked 440 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm a Mountain Biker that recently got a road bike, I love it. It is a nice change of pace, a different activity all together really.
I got a Trek 1.1 (as entry level as you can get) as I didn't want to spend a lot on something I knew I wouldn't really care for, but I enjoy it a great deal... but I don't regret the bike choice I made, it's a decent bike, will last me years I'm sure.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
rola643
TwoJ
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 5646 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 5248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwarrior View Post
I'm a Mountain Biker that recently got a road bike, I love it. It is a nice change of pace, a different activity all together really.
I got a Trek 1.1 (as entry level as you can get) as I didn't want to spend a lot on something I knew I wouldn't really care for, but I enjoy it a great deal... but I don't regret the bike choice I made, it's a decent bike, will last me years I'm sure.
You WILL ASSIMILATE and be part of the collective I never thought I would see a post from you and a road bike! To cool man!
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
superj
still learning

Bikes

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 14

ha ha ha, the borg, i mean the bike. you will assimilate

1998 specialized expedition sport
2010 trek 1200sl
2009 bacchetta strada
2010 trek 820
2008 giant boulder
1998 gt series one
2013 trek 7.2

Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
HillDancer
Trailer Trash
Bikes

Liked 217 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim71 View Post
...I have been riding the streets for about a month and a half and enjoying every minute of it.

I am using my mtb with street tires (2009 gary fisher wahoo) and its ok, but, I am really wanting to get a roadie.

My question/ concern is being 5' 8", 280 and 47yo what would be a good entry level bike for me and/ or what specific things should I be looking at concerning my size? Im in alright condition (but have PLENTY of room for improvement) and have been riding an avg of 12 miles 4 times a week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry_Hack View Post
Are you dead set on a road bike?
If your desire for a rodie specific bike will keep you riding, I'm all for it. On the other hand I think you already own a good entry level bike for your weight and current conditioning. Share details about the road tires you have mounted now; this may be something that can be improved upon. If you choose a road bike, pick one that can fit at least 32mm wide tires. To handle your current weight without risking pinch flats, and ensure sidewall stability while cornering, skinny tires would need to be inflated to very high pressure. High pressures are not comfortable, especially in an urban setting. A MTB can run wide tires at lower pressure and continue to support your weight. I for one find a few component changes to a mountain bike can enhance its roadworthyness. Swapping the flat bar for a Jones H or Full Loop bar, plus longer stem, will provide improved control at speed, plus the wrist angle is less stressful. It will also provide pre-conditioning for the forward riding position better suited to road speeds. Does your GF have V or disc brakes?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Industry_Hack
Total noob (& forum admin)
TS_ADMIN.png

Bikes

Liked 3307 Times on 1961 Posts
Likes Given: 3363

The Wahoo should have discs.

It's my opinion that someone in this position would be better served by a few mods to their 29er, and after losing some weight, get a road bike. At road bike built to handle 280 pounds is going to be much closer to a 29er with drops than a true road bike anyway. Otherwise, I would suggest a steel touring bike from Surly or Trek, which would have drops, but not the liveliness of a lightweight road bike.

The Twospoke store for shirts and stuff.
kneedrachen Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
bigjim71

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the great responses to my questions!

The Wahoo has disc's and is a 26er. The tires I got are road specific with kevlar and fit the rims that came with the bike so they are "beefier" than what straight up road tires look like (to my untrained eye anyway).

Never really considered a touring bike but will definately look in to it.

I would like to get a bike I use strictly for the road so I can keep the Wahoo set-up for the trails though. I guess thats one of my hesitations to changing out the bars.

Another thought might be a cyclocross type ride.....any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well!!

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply