Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Question on Riding Etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
SOFRider

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Question on Riding Etiquette

While I have been riding for some time, I always ride alone. Today I was riding on a local "Rails to Trails" trail. While I was moving along at approx. 16 mph, I was passed by two groups of riders. The first alerted me and passed quickly, and the last rider advised me that he was in fact the last rider in the group. Riders in this group used the common hand signals to alert me to their planned actions, and I made a mental note of their riding skills. Some time later another group of about 12 riders alerted me that they were passing on my left. After the first 6-7 riders passed all these riders seemed to slow down. While I maintained my track very close to the right edge of the pavement, none of the other riders could pass without passing me and other riders in their group. I was forced to slow down my cadence so as not to run into the rider in front of me, and in fact I had to shift into a lower gear for safety. The group, now including me, passed a number of slower riders on the trail. The only thing I could do was to become a member of this group until they left the trail at a junction 2-3 miles ahead. Their leaving the trail was an ugly affair as they swung wide to left edge of the trail to make a right turn off the main trail

While I believe I did what was safe for all concerned, I am baffeled about what the group or leader were thinking about. Any Ideas or suggestions? First time something like this has happened, and most of the groups/clubs I meet on this trail are like group #1.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
salvage_bikes
Banned

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Sounds like the first group had better manners, but I don't think there is much you could do about the second group. I think if you ride in a group, it's a good idea to have matching jerseys, signs, or some other signal, and to not box in riders not with the group (like not drafting hard on them, and not riding two abreast with them).

Last edited by salvage_bikes; 01-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
LarryM
Eocyclist

Bikes

Liked 289 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 382

It is possible that the leaders of the 2nd group slowed because they came up on unsafe conditions, such as slower riders blocking the trail ahead. There's not much anyone can do about something like that.

I think you did what you could. The other choice would be to slow a bit to let the rest of the group pass by more quickly.

As for exiting with a wide turn, as long as they weren't interfering with other trail users, it shouldn't matter. {Besides, roadies are notorious for being unable to make a turn in anything less than a 50ft radius }

Last edited by LarryM; 01-10-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added "they came up on"

Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
revcp
Cyclist

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

My take is that it's poor etiquette for groups to ride on trails. Too many baby strollers, dogs, rollerbladers, walkers, runners, etc. It's a "road" bike for goodness sake.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
salvage_bikes
Banned

I don't care if they ride on MUPs, especially really long ones, but it's foolish to not expect the group to get fragmented and slowed down by lots of things like you mention (other users, kids parking in the middle, dogs, pedestrians, etc).

Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
citizen_erased

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Could be poor etiquette on the second group. Can't say from experience, since I usually ride alone and even then I give plenty of warning to people. Most of the time they'll look over, with a confused look painted on their face as they try to figure out to move either left or right. My personal favorite is the group rides where they ride three abreast, hog the trail, then move over last minute. It's those people that warrant dirty looks.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
salvage_bikes
Banned

Today some dude on a mtb rode right up behind a couple of pedestrians before passing them, nearly clipping the man on the left. Cagers on bikes! Scary!

I wish the rail trail here was open. We have one that goes over 70 miles, but most of it is gravel with a lot of overgrowth and bad bridges. It would be fun to ride the whole thing and camp and eat at little towns along the way.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
newleaf150

Liked 2180 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 5271

It's really not cool to buzz pedestrians on a MUP, or to pass them without warning.

That rail trail path sounds cool!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
canotryss

The other choice would be to slow a bit to let the rest of the group pass by more quickly.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
baj32161
American Expatriate

Bikes

Liked 84 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvage_bikes View Post
I don't care if they ride on MUPs, especially really long ones, but it's foolish to not expect the group to get fragmented and slowed down by lots of things like you mention (other users, kids parking in the middle, dogs, pedestrians, etc).
^^This sounds like what I often experience.

2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy 105
Hmmmm....I need more bikes.

Quick Reply