Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Roubaix ride vs Motobecane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
etw

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereo View Post
Blind folded do you think you could tell the difference from say a Defy?
It's really tough to ride that way!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
davereo
Bikes

Liked 3409 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 3392

It's tough but I only do it on heavily traveled roads. This way here my sonar kicks in by the sounds of skidding and horns blowing.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

rola643 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #23
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 501 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I'm very happy with my Roubaix! Love the dampening qualities of the bike for my "old man" back. My only regret was not getting a higher end model since it was a "welcome home and thank you for not getting killed in Afghanistan" gift for me from my wife.

People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
lmiles64

Bikes

Liked 861 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereo View Post
I have never riden a Defy myself. I have a Synapse that I am sure if you put my saddle bar and brifter on a Defy I bet I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Is one brand better than the other. IMHO not to much so to cost hundreds and sometimes thousands more. All bike manufactures are swimming in the same pool of suppliers for their components. Components are the wear and tear items on the bike. The frame has the manufactures name painted on it and is used to hold all the components together most are made in the same factories by the same people as each other.

So my advice to the OP would be as has already been asked are you mechanical enough to assemble and maintain your bike by yourself going forward? If yes seriously think of the Moto. If not go to your LBS and get a bike you can afford and feel happy or comfortable riding.
This was the same dilemma I was having at the beginning of the year. I test rode a Giant Composite Defy 3 (2012) w/all Ultegra components. A Felt F4 (2013) w/105 front, back derailleur and shifters. Plus the Roubaix Elite (2013) w/full 105 components that I ended up buying due to it being on sale close to the same price as the Felt. I went with the Roubaix due to the full 105 group set. I believe I would be happy with any of them.

"Get Out and Ride. Its Good for the Soul!"

Old 05-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
jimpam86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixsand View Post
I'd really want to be sure that I needed/wanted the more upright geometry of the Roubaix before I invested in one. Maybe ride a Tarmac back to back with the Roubaix to get a feel for what you'll be missing out on?
kixsand, that is exactly what you need to do. That is one is the reason I suggest you work with a LBS. When was looking to buy mine (I also bought one for my wife), I let the LBS know I wanted to ride at least 5 miles on each bike to get a feel. They had no problem with that. 1st I rode the Tarmac, it felt pretty decent. Then I hopped on the Roubaix and I was instantly hooked. You need to do the same, try them both and get the one you feel best meets what you want to accomplish. If you are interested in racing, you will probably want to lean toward the Tarmac. If you are more interested in a lot of group rides, of long rides, you may want to look more seriously at the Roubaix. That being said, I pass a whole lot of Tarmacs when I step on it in group rides, the Roubaix is still a fast bike. It is the Bike Tom Boonan (sp) one the Paris Roubaix on in 2012.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
etw

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A great comparison of the Tarmac vs the Roubaix is

http://redkiteprayer.com/2009/12/the-crucible-tarmac-vs-roubaix/

Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
froze

Liked 447 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero3one View Post
I'm very happy with my Roubaix! Love the dampening qualities of the bike for my "old man" back. My only regret was not getting a higher end model since it was a "welcome home and thank you for not getting killed in Afghanistan" gift for me from my wife.
Thank you for serving our country, we appreciate the sacrifices today's members of the military contribute. The bike thing, it may not have been the best one but be thankful you can even ride a bike!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
jimpam86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by etw View Post
A great comparison of the Tarmac vs the Roubaix is

http://redkiteprayer.com/2009/12/the-crucible-tarmac-vs-roubaix/
That was a good comparison. Also of note, the comparison was done in Dec. of 2009. Specialized has made a # of upgrades since then. They now have a SL4 that i have been lusting over for a while. My LBS has it front and center right by the entrance!! The seat post has been upgraded, they changed the Zert inserts so they are more size specific, in other words, they are a little bigger on a 58 than on a 52. I believe there are other changes as well but those are the 2 that I rembered the most.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
omnivox42
TS_MODERATOR.png

Bikes

Liked 2417 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

I ride an SL3 Tarmac = LOVE.

~~~There will be moments of chaos, keep pedaling~~~

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #30
davereo
Bikes

Liked 3409 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 3392

I love my Roubaix. Mine was built by Fuji.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

Quick Reply