Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Saying hello and asking a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
justdon

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Saying hello and asking a few questions

Would like to say hello to everyone.Iam retired and ride my motorcycle or scooter.But need the exercise so iam going to buy a bicycle soon.I have lost about 60lbs in the last year and have my health issues under control.So here goes i weigh 238 and iam 5'11".And i want to start out with a decent used bike to get used to riding one again.It has been 30 years or so since i last rode a bicycle.I have looked at a few bikes that were listed on craigs list.That were 26" seemed a little small for me.This mourning i went to walmart and saw a few that i did like and i know these are not top of the line bikes but could serve the purpose for the moment.Does anybody have any suggestions for something i should buy.Where for now i would spend no more than $150 on.So sorry for the long post but iam trying to get ideas and don't have a fortune to spend.Thanks in advance for your ideas..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2597 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Bike size is important because it is the factor which will determine riding comfort. The most common suggestion would be go to your local bike shop and get fitted. Seeing as your budget wont get you onto a bike from your LBS I suggest that you dont use their service for the measurement. 5'11" Walmart bike would be their off the shelf cruiser 26" bike or a 19" mountain bike.

Welcome aboard the forum and good luck as you get back into cycling.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
paultech6

Bikes

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Maybe a suggestion for now . First be careful buying on Craigslist most are overpriced. Second if you know your inseam size look for a bike you can stand over the top bar and have about 1 inch clearance between your crotch and the top bar that measurement will sorta get you in the ballpark. Once you find what you want their are plenty of sites or just google bike fitting and it will give you directions on seat adjustment handlebar heights ,etc
This is just a suggestion if you want to try a used or Walmart bike.Like previously posted if your budget allows going to local bike shop for an initial fit and purchase is the way to go if you will be committing yourself in the long run.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
newleaf150

Liked 1813 Times on 1058 Posts
Likes Given: 4112

Welcome, and best off luck, justdon! If you have any big-box sporting goods stores in your area, they might bear a look - they will generally run a little over your stated budget, but they have frequent sales and the like. Unlike Wally, many will let you test-ride in the store. It's not as good as riding outside, but can at least give you an idea of fit and comfort. You may have to look around more to find something in budget, but it's very worth it to put in the effort. I love being my own engine, and the health/quality of life benefits are really wonderful. Please keep us updated on your hunt!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
rynoman03

Bikes

Liked 1660 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 3041

Look for used bikes at the bike shop or Craigslist will be your best bet for the best bang for your buck.

WELCOME!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
davereo

Bikes

Liked 2597 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Going to a LBS for a fitting without any intention of purchasing a bike from them is stealing. My .02 on bike fitting.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football"

John Heisman

rynoman03 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
zero3one

Bikes

Liked 482 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Like anything in life, I believe if one is to invest in something, then the investment should be done right. I would definitely recommend going to your LBS and spending a little more and getting an actual good bike. There is a HUGE difference between Walmart bikes and a real bike. Plus the service and advice you can get from the shop alone is a reason to go.

davereo Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Welcome, justdon! I can see you are already getting a lot of good advice from the group, so I will just say "Welcome" and hope that you find a bike that fits you and your budget and you will enjoy it and stick with it!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
newleaf150

Liked 1813 Times on 1058 Posts
Likes Given: 4112

I agree with Zero while understanding that budgets are what they are.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
justdon

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/3564796679.html.. I don't know if this is the right spot to post this in but i was looking through cl listngs and saw this.Iam taking everybody's advice on getting a bike from the bike shop.But that won't happen for a few weeks waiting for my income tax return to come in.I talked to the guy and he said it rides fine and i can have it for 35 dollars.I know nothing about this bike but i want it because it reminds me of when iwas much younger and would see a few of these at the beach..

Quick Reply