You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Twospoke.com    

Bike and Cycling Forum > Bike Forums > Beginners Forum > Trek Verve 3 vs Trek Shift 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
lillyda

Trek Verve 3 vs Trek Shift 3

Looking to get back into bikeing. I'm torn between the Trek Verve 3 and the Shift 3 Trek bike. I'm 60 yrs old and would mostly be riding the C&O canal. The only difference between the two seems to be the tires. The Verev having a thinner 700 (27.5 dia.) rim / tire and the Shift haveing a wider 26 in dia. I understand the difference as far as between the two just not sure what would be the best choice for me.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
fromjusttheking
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi lillyda,

I just joined this group as well. We (my wife and I) just got back into cycling too. We are seniors, and we have been riding on the C&O Canal as often as we can. Wonder where you are located. We are in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, right near both VA & MD.

We both have the new Trek Shift 3 WSD's, with the wider H5 26"x2.00 tires, and are very happy with them. In checking the size differences between the tires, it appears that the 700x35c on the Verve are approximately equal to a 28" dia. x 1.4" wide, so it's bigger around, but has a narrower footprint. All in all, I think already having been riding, I prefer the wider 26" tire on the Shift 3, but I guess that's kind of biased never having ridden a Verve or 700x35c tires. They seem very stable on gravel and pavement. We run them at about 70 psi.

Comparing both bikes (in this case I'm using the WSD's) the few differences I see are the trigger shifters are different. Apparently the new EF-51 shifters on the Verve (based on user's photos on Amazon) have the right side indicator moving circularly whereas the EF65's on the Shift 3 move linearly, much easier to see I think. Maybe a small thing, but I don't think I'd be happy with that style indicator (it's the newer version now out apparently).

There may be some difference in saddles as well, but obviously cannot be determined until one rides on what comes with any bike.

Overall, we are very happy and if we had to do it over again, we would still stick with the Shift 3's, even now knowing about the Verve 3. The prices are the same either way.

Would be happy to chat with you more about this if you want, on or off line. Let me know.

Hope this info helps you.

Alan

Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
lillyda

Hi Alan,

Thanks for replying. I did end up settling on the Shift. The Verve I believe would be better on payment but the Shift provides better versatility. I went with the Shift 4 mostly due to color choice. I also live in the Eastern Panhandle about half way between Martinsburg and Shepherdstown in a development called Greystone on the Opequon. Should have my bike in about two weeks. I received my bike as a Service award from my company. My award was actually for a Verve 1 but I was able to pay the additional cost for an upqrade. Would be interested in hearing any advice or suggestions you may have.

Thanks, Dave

Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
SixtyPlus

Bikes

Liked 392 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Dave and Alan, not much as far as one bike versus another, but did want to say welcome to the forum!! Glad you both are on board. Lot's of good folks on Two Spoke and always interesting, fun, and sometimes useful information!!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
kneedrachen
TS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5685 Times on 2901 Posts
Likes Given: 11088

WELCOME!

Actually all informaiton on TwoSpoke is useful, it's just what it relates to.

I'd suggest heading over to the beginner's forum as well as the introductions!

Again, welcome and congrats on the new bike!

Ride On!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
fromjusttheking
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyda View Post
Hi Alan,

Thanks for replying. I did end up settling on the Shift. The Verve I believe would be better on payment but the Shift provides better versatility. I went with the Shift 4 mostly due to color choice. I also live in the Eastern Panhandle about half way between Martinsburg and Shepherdstown in a development called Greystone on the Opequon. Should have my bike in about two weeks. I received my bike as a Service award from my company. My award was actually for a Verve 1 but I was able to pay the additional cost for an upqrade. Would be interested in hearing any advice or suggestions you may have.

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave, glad to meet you. Well we are really pretty close. Know pretty much right where you are. We live in Bunker Hill. We too have just started back into cycling, and are getting used to our bikes and are breaking ourselves into the sport. Normally we ride the various C&O Canal paths, which are gravel, but yesterday we rode the WMRT (Western Maryland Rail Trail which is all pavement) from Big Pool, the eastern terminus of the trail (exit 12 of I-70W) to Hancock, (exit 3 of I-70W), which was about a 22 mile round trip. A few days before we did Hancock to Pearre, which is the halfway point of the trail, about a 23 mile round trip (Hancock being in the middle). In general we try to ride as often as possible, every day or as close to that as possible.

I'm 72, and my wife is 66, and the Hancock to Pearre ride just about killed us, since the longest ride we had ever taken was 12 miles total (round trip). Yesterday's ride was a breeze in comparison. Probably because we had been somewhat conditioned from the first ride. Who knows, maybe it was a little too warm or humid or whatever. But anyway yesterday was FUN!!! The Shift handles great on both pavement and gravel, but you MUST watch out where the gravel has been eroded away and is a mud path (maybe a 1-3 feet long) where you can loose control. So far we haven't but we watch out for them and avoid them wherever possible.

Learning what's what in cycling has been very interesting, and we usually visit every bike shop we come to just to see what's there. An easy to gain knowledge and learn on the "job".

I think you made the right decision with the Shift. The only difference between the 3 & 4 is that the 4 is a tad heavier duty than the 3. Front suspension and seat post travels a bit more, and has a heavier duty rear wheels and rear sprocket hub. We opted for the Shift 3 WSD's in black. The reason for the WSD's is that at my age, if I go down, I want to get off quick and it turned out that THAT

If you can, e-mail me at fromjusttheking@frontier.com. Would like to talk to you on the phone regarding your bike. Things you might find very interesting.

Maybe sometime we can take a ride together especially since we are so close. Think it would be fun.

Look forward to hearing from you. Take care.

Alan
2012-08-04-17.14.01-copy.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
fromjusttheking
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyda View Post
Hi Alan,

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave, glad to meet you. Well we are really pretty close. Know pretty much right where you are. We live in Bunker Hill. We too have just started back into cycling, and are getting used to our bikes and are breaking ourselves into the sport. Normally we ride the various C&O Canal paths, which are gravel, but yesterday we rode the WMRT (Western Maryland Rail Trail which is all pavement) from Big Pool, the eastern terminus of the trail (exit 12 of I-70W) to Hancock, (exit 3 of I-70W), which was about a 22 mile round trip. A few days before we did Hancock to Pearre, which is the halfway point of the trail, about a 23 mile round trip (Hancock being in the middle). In general we try to ride as often as possible, every day or as close to that as possible.

I'm 72, and my wife is 66, and the Hancock to Pearre ride just about killed us, since the longest ride we had ever taken was 12 miles total (round trip). Yesterday's ride was a breeze in comparison. Probably because we had been somewhat conditioned from the first ride. Who knows, maybe it was a little too warm or humid or whatever. But anyway yesterday was FUN!!! The Shift handles great on both pavement and gravel, but you MUST watch out where the gravel has been eroded away and is a mud path (maybe a 1-3 feet long) where you can loose control. So far we haven't but we watch out for them and avoid them wherever possible.

Learning what's what in cycling has been very interesting, and we usually visit every bike shop we come to just to see what's there. An easy to gain knowledge and learn on the "job".

I think you made the right decision with the Shift. The only difference between the 3 & 4 is that the 4 is a tad heavier duty than the 3. Front suspension and seat post travels a bit more, and has a heavier duty rear wheels and rear sprocket hub. We opted for the Shift 3 WSD's in black. The reason for the WSD's is that at my age, if I go down, I want to get off quick and it turned out that THAT was a very good decision. I did something stupid, lost control and the step-thru design saved my a**. The WSD was even recommended by my LBS.

If you can, e-mail me at fromjusttheking@frontier.com. Would like to talk to you on the phone regarding your bike. Things you might find very interesting.

Maybe sometime we can take a ride together especially since we are so close. Think it would be fun.

Look forward to hearing from you. Take care.

Alan

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
fromjusttheking
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyPlus View Post
Dave and Alan, not much as far as one bike versus another, but did want to say welcome to the forum!! Glad you both are on board. Lot's of good folks on Two Spoke and always interesting, fun, and sometimes useful information!!
Thanks, glad to be here. Will be happy to share my experiences and info with the group!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
fromjusttheking
Bikes

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
WELCOME!

Actually all informaiton on TwoSpoke is useful, it's just what it relates to.

I'd suggest heading over to the beginner's forum as well as the introductions!

Again, welcome and congrats on the new bike!

Ride On!
Will look in the Beginner's forum for sure. Can't ever have too much info.

Thanks for the welcome. Love the bike and the sport! Glad to be at TwoSpoke.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
okhealthy

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yes, thank you , Glad you both are on board. Lot's of good folks on Two Spoke and always interesting, fun, and sometimes useful information!!

Quick Reply