Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

(Howdy since I am Texan :D)

I got a good deal on a 01 Hardrock Sport. I do love the bike as it is my first ride back into cycling. I do not have much off road riding in my area so I plan on hybridizing my steed until I can afford a roadie.

New grips and bar has already happened and tires/tubes are next. My question(s) is in regards to replacing the SRAM Gripshift 3.0 gear for something equal or better. I hope to save the crank and cassette, but am willing to replace the de railliures. I dont really have an issue with grip shifters as long as they are accurate as I do not miss shift. My goal is to have newer hardware that shifts quicker. The rear gears shift OK, but the front takes a lot of work even with an adjustment by the LBS.

Do you know if the SRAM X4 family is any good? What level is it?

Thanks in advanced oh MTB gurus.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
I wish I could help but I'm honestly clueless. I do like SRAM, look at SRAM stuff here

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I love SRAM's Double Tap technology for the road bikes, but am not much a fan of their X line of MTB components, but let me explain because it's a personal preference. My Trek X-Cal came with X-7 components and I'm sure the quality it there, I have zero complaints with the way it shifts. What I don't like, and it's simply because it's different than the Shimano's I've always used is that with the Shimano's you have a shift lever for your thumb and one for your index finger... as it should be :) , but with the SRAM X shifter you control both levers with your thumb. It's no better of worse than the other method, just different and my brain is old and don't like to change :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I now see that the X-4 is a grip shifter so I guess you can ignore what I said above. I've never used the grip shifters so really can't say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind grip shifters as they are light and streamlined. Well so long as they shift well. I want smooth shifting without clunking or roughness. Currently it isn't bad, but has room for improvement, especially at speed.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what I have planned for my hybrid build.

*Sram via crank 48/38/28
*Sram x7 grip shifters and de railliures
*sram 970 9 speed cassette
* avid 7 speed dial brake levers
* kenda kwest high pressure tires (done)
* BG targa grips (done)
* BG format seat (done)

Later I will swap brakes and wheelset. Also want to know if riser bar will help hand numbness. I.don't want to raise my stem much more as I want a semi sporty setup. I am open to suggestions for pedals too.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, Kenda Kwest tires are a bit of OK. Not noisey, smooth, responsive. A little harsh but they are high pressure.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,224 Posts
'Vox,

Looks like you're having fun with the customization thing. Good for you!

The most common reason for hand numbness I've seen/experienced is probably the need to have multiple hand positions on your bars so you can change your grip from time to time. With flat bars, that usually means adding bar ends. You can also swap for trekking (also called butterfly) bars or some other variant - there are tons of variations.

It may also help to get into the habit of stretching your hands while riding - hold course with one hand while opening the other as wide as possible for a moment, then working the wrist and fingers to help restore circulation. Switch hands, repeat as-needed where you can safely ride 1-handed ;-)

I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Leaf,

Thanks, I am having a blast working out the parts list for my upgrades. I have a tendency to get a little obsessed.

I will lookup the butterfly bars. In the mean time I raised the stem a little more and my ride this morning was much better, but I also kept moving my hands where i could. When I get more speed built up I will tuck into the grip shifters and lean over more to reduce drag. Then I will get back on the grips when I slow up. Lately I have had to fight quite a bit of head wind in the area.

EDIT: I just saw pictures of the butterfly bars. BRILLIANT.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,224 Posts
omnivox42 said:
<snip>

EDIT: I just saw pictures of the butterfly bars. BRILLIANT.
I like mine even more after finding they can be triple-wrapped in bar tape, with vibration-dampening pads under the outer layer for good measure. Between that and all the available hand positions, I am much more comfortable and happy spending time in the saddle. They also make your bike stand out from the crowd!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts