Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Over 50 and not '2' tired
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, and HAPPY 4th of July!

Well, I finally got some time to try a 1/4 mile speed run around the local track this morning! A friend from my local bike shop met me there to film me while following me on his bike, with my gopro on his helmet. My goal was to try to finish the lap in under one minute, which was/is NOT easy!

Because of the huge, heavy 36" wheel, it takes a good 8-10 seconds to get started and up to speed, and the turns slowed me down a bit as well. That means I had to hit 17-18mph on the straights to make up for that lost time, in order to make it in under a minute! Whew! I learned that 55 year old legs are NOT 25 anymore, haha!

Great training though, for sure! I could have gone a bit faster, but I also knew that if I fell, my friend who was only a few feet behind me on his bike, would probably have run over me! Plus, I can't run 17 mph if I fall either, so either way I would have gone down, and HARD! This was my first and only attempt, and only the third time in my six years of riding that I've tried this. What a rush!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYEr9aY0OXk]YouTube - ‪Hi Speed Unicycle!‬‏[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is that track "cushiony?" It would seem that those foam tracks would slow you down. I bet you will be stinking fast on your Schlumpf. I hope you get it soon. I'm really enjoying mine.

I'm nearly 52 and I do feel my age (I AM often too tired). I don't like it, but I do like riding. I'm out there nearly everyday, climbing some hill.

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that track "cushiony?" It would seem that those foam tracks would slow you down. I bet you will be stinking fast on your Schlumpf. I hope you get it soon. I'm really enjoying mine.

I'm nearly 52 and I do feel my age (I AM often too tired). I don't like it, but I do like riding. I'm out there nearly everyday, climbing some hill.
Yeah it's how many tracks are nowadays; covered in a rubber-like, textured composite of some kind. Yes, a little cushiony and "sticky", mostly for runner's benefit, and does create more than usual rolling resistance.

Btw, I recently got my first 26er GUni and am loving it! I remember when this hub first came on to the market several years ago, it was fraught with little bugs that caused it to fail and so they had tons of warranty returns. These newest generation hubs have been vastly improved which I why I finally decided to buy one.

Btw, it's a huge step up to go from 1:1 to 1:1:5! That's a 50% jump and makes a 26er an effective 39er! But as long as the rider is going anywhere from 3-8mph, shifting up is pretty smooth in that there is no sudden "jolt". Just the sensation of a much bigger, heavier wheel that is rotating 50% faster than you are pedaling.

So you just have to be prepared for the shift, otherwise the wheel can get ahead of you, leaving you behind...or ON your behind! But I'm relatively used to it now and can even climb moderate hills in high gear, as well as work my way through semi-technical sections in high. In case you haven't seen it, here's a video of my first day of riding it: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh0hIM_c0OU]‪"Unicycle Tutorial" Kris Holm/Schlumpf Geared Unicycle Hub and High Speed Unicycling Muni Downhill‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah it's how many tracks are nowadays; covered in a rubber-like, textured composite of some kind. Yes, a little cushiony and "sticky", mostly for runner's benefit, and does create more than usual rolling resistance.

Btw, I recently got my first 26er GUni and am loving it! I remember when this hub first came on to the market several years ago, it was fraught with little bugs that caused it to fail and so they had tons of warranty returns. These newest generation hubs have been vastly improved which I why I finally decided to buy one.

Btw, it's a huge step up to go from 1:1 to 1:1:5! That's a 50% jump and makes a 26er an effective 39er! But as long as the rider is going anywhere from 3-8mph, shifting up is pretty smooth in that there is no sudden "jolt". Just the sensation of a much bigger, heavier wheel that is rotating 50% faster than you are pedaling.

So you just have to be prepared for the shift, otherwise the wheel can get ahead of you, leaving you behind...or ON your behind! But I'm relatively used to it now and can even climb moderate hills in high gear, as well as work my way through semi-technical sections in high. In case you haven't seen it, here's a video of my first day of riding it: ‪"Unicycle Tutorial" Kris Holm/Schlumpf Geared Unicycle Hub and High Speed Unicycling Muni Downhill‬‏ - YouTube
My biggest issue with shifting is timing the downshift. I don't want to do it too soon or I have to ride slowly to get to the steep part. If I wait, I'm already going uphill and can't shift when it gets steeper. This is going to take some figuring out. I also don't shift at the moment I decide to shift. It takes a couple of rotations before it engages, or rather when I hit the button. I'm not surprised that you have caught on so quickly. I am surprised that while learning to shift, you dare hold your camera. You are crazy good/confident!

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest issue with shifting is timing the downshift. I don't want to do it too soon or I have to ride slowly to get to the steep part. If I wait, I'm already going uphill and can't shift when it gets steeper. This is going to take some figuring out. I also don't shift at the moment I decide to shift. It takes a couple of rotations before it engages, or rather when I hit the button. I'm not surprised that you have caught on so quickly. I am surprised that while learning to shift, you dare hold your camera. You are crazy good/confident!
Yeah KH was telling me that you can't shift when there's too much pressure on the pedals, like when climbing or back pressuring. I don't mind slowing down a fair distance before the climb starts, to make certain I will get the downshift. It's better than walking up the hill, haha!

Here's my brand new GUni video; the first minute or so is a helpful tip on preventing a possible *major* problem with the shifting buttons!

Watch till the end, haha!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOk1SMKSpE[/ame]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts