100 mile Uni-Century Video and writeup!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by unigeezer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. unigeezer

unigeezer Over 50 and not '2' tired

Hello all!

This 100 mile solo unicycle ride was one of the most exciting and challenging experiences of my life! I actually did 104 miles, and 58,240 wheel revolutions! No wonder I'm achy the next day, but it was for such a great cause! I'm leaving the donation page for the American Cancer Society open for at least another week, so people can still make donations. The link is on the home page of my website, UniGeezer

Here's my writeup and the link to the video documentary is at the bottom:

At about mile 25 I heard a loud "pop" which turned out to be a broken spoke! This instantly made the wheel wobbly and unstable. Luckily, I had brought 3 spare spokes, so I was able to replace it, but my spoke wrench was too small to tighten it! (I just assumed it would fit! ) After about 15 minutes I was able to find someone with the right tool, and was up and riding again.

Then, 15 miles later ANOTHER spoke broke! Now I was down to only one spare. I decided to loosen each spoke 1/4 turn to reduce tension, and from then on had no more spoke problems. Fortunately for me, not really knowing how to true a wheel (But now I will learn!) it was still in decent true!

I did the extra 4 miles because when the second spoke broke, I must've inadvertently moved that little magnetic sensor disc that reads mileage on my cycle computer! It was only after I'd gone about 4 miles that I discovered it was not registering, so I stopped and re-aligned it to the transmitter thing.

So at the end of my ride, even though I would have gone 100 miles, the computer would have only logged 96 due to that 4 mile glitch. So I decided to ride the extra 4, just because I wanted it to show 100 miles, lol! So 104 total.

I met two really nice cyclists along the way; a guy named Michael Castro on his 3-wheeled recumbent; he rode with me for about 40 miles, and later, a guy named Jerry on a 24" schwinn unicycle tagged along for a little while.

Summing up, after starting my trek at 5:30 am, I finally completed my ride at 4:34pm, 11 hours and 4 minutes later! This total time included the spoke repairs, breaks, slowing for traffic lights and congested bike paths and some pedal hole changes on the last leg: I tried to get it under 11. Oh well, maybe next time I can shoot for that "100-10-1" thing! Two out of three ain't bad I guess!

And although I stuffed myself with 5 power bars, 6 energy gels, 2 bagels and about 12 pounds of water during the ride...and a WHOLE pizza after the ride, I woke up this morning THREE pounds lighter! But then again, I probably burned tons of calories on the ride, and probably some more while I slept!

I look forward to mapping out more uni-century rides, at least once every year now. I'm hooked!

Video Documentary:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukMrYe9W7bA"

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Just got back. I'm gonna read this a little later. Just wanted you to know uni.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Wow....that was no small feet you took on!!!! Congratulations on your ride and good luck in all your future ones. Keep posting your thoughts on your rides. They are very motivational.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Geez, geezer two spoke breaks? 12 hours on a uni? You're the man. Did you have fun?

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Unbelievable! Most impressive!

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Amazing. At what age did you start the uni fascination?

7. unigeezer

Thanks for the comments! To answer that last question, I started riding at about age 10, in 1966. Learned pretty fast to ride, go backwards, spin in a circle, ride one-footed and go down curbs. Of course, back then, unicycles were very weak and flimsy. Today they are purpose built to stand up to very hardcore riding.

So, then I quit riding about a year later, about '66-'67, going on to other things. Took it up again almost 40 years later, in late '05, just about my 50th b-day. Love it more now than ever! This is what my riding looked like, way back when, in '67!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3h6mqcGwG8]YouTube - Vintage '67 unicycle kid[/ame]

8. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I really like the cars in the vid as well ! Was that a Nova in the driveway, I'd kill to have either car I saw, sorry hijack over :)

9. unigeezer

Yeah there was a nova, camaro and a corvair! All fairly new at the time. Here's another video from a few years before with me riding my skateboard. That's a '57 ford fairlane and '64 chevy impala in the driveway. :thumbsup:

PS: The skateboard wheels back then were pre-urathane and made of a clay material, and also had non-sealed bearings that needed regular maintenance. You would go flying if you hit even the smallest pebble!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zamBkFcLCQ]YouTube - Vintage skateboarding from 1964![/ame]

10. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I sure thought we were going to see your cousin faceplant. May be good that he gave it up.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That pole seems to make it not the ideal location for learning to skate.

12. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

All I can say is wow! Completeing a century is an accomplishemtn all its own. But doing so on a unicycle is more of an accomplishment. Congrats uni, way to go man. You humble us all.

13. laredoshane

laredoshane New Member

Great Job Sir! I used to ride my unicycle in the parade for two miles. I though I was going far.

14. salvage_bikes

salvage_bikes Banned

Wheel truing is not hard, but I am not sure if your unicycle wheel can be fitted to a traditional truing stand. If not, you will have to improvise, such as using zip-ties on the forks, cutting the tags down to work as "arms". You can turn them in and out a little for adjustments. Is your wheel radially spoked? Are spoke breakages common on serious unicycles? Look for a silver-colored, triangle shaped Park tool, a 3 way spoke wrench that fits major spoke sizes sold in USA. That has remained my most used. There are also generic round ones with about 5 sizes, usually $3-7, at Walmart and bike shops everywhere. A brand called Spokey makes single-guage spoke keys that are wonderful and never strip spoke nipples ($10-20 each). [​IMG]

I have read about a unicyclist attempting a 24 hr record on a high-pressure tire and with an aero-bar. Sounds brutal, especially because you never get to "rest" even for a second, without falling forward or back. Sounds even more brutal than 24hr attempt on a track bike.

Congratulations to your age and health. I am always afraid I will get "too old to bike". Lately I have been relying a lot on a motorized bicycle to deal with pulling a child and deal with fatigue from a chronic illness and from caring for my daughter. I did a 30 mile road ride on New Years, and felt like it was 100, but I felt hope and energy like maybe I can recoup some of my youthful energy. Your 100mile ride was inspiring. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012