Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
S.W.A.M.P.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an old JC Higgins bike. As far as I can tell, it's a 1950's Flightliner. I'm going to start a restoration on it so we can ride it in shows, parades and events. I don't really care what it's worth as i plan on keeping it, however it would be nice to know. Also, i have yet to find any reliable way of determining the year. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Pedal on!

Just picked it up and yes, I am excited! It is complete! Front and rear lights work, paint is decent underneath all that dirt, the rims only need a little polishing, it has the original tires even! It's in really good shape minus a lot of dirt and a little rust. Picked it up for only 50 bucks! Needless to say it'll clean up nice. Happy camper here today!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Nice find. That is going to be a real cool bike when you are done, no it is a real cool bike. I am from that time and I would say 1955 or right around there. I rember that I had an old Derby back then and thaught how cool them bikes with the trim where. But most of my bikes got striped down and changed around so we could race them on a dirt flat track, the races were put on every week end at the local fire house where thay had a track.
Thanks for the memories

·
S.W.A.M.P.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, great story "old man". I hope to hear more stories like this as we take the bike out for rides. This weekend we're taking it along Bayshore during the Gasparilla Parade in as is condition. My 15 year old son is beside himself wanting to fix this up and ride it. And my fiance' absolutely loves it! Maybe one day, if I'm lucky, I hope to be able to ride it myself...;)

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I am totally jealous of you man that is one cool ride. I so want one myself one day keep us posted on the restore

·
S.W.A.M.P.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I started on the back rim and fender, experimenting with a little area at a time to see what worked the best. i found a spray - on metal polish and cleaner combined with synthetic steel wool worked like a charm! I used Tuff Stuff spray cleaner on the tire and it came out great for 50 year old sidewalls. It deos have a couple areas of concern, namely the handle bars. The chrome is actually peeling off the one side so they will have to be either replaced or re-chromed. I pulled the taillight apart and about a hundred lizard eggs, mostly hatched, came pouring out. Plunked a couple batteries after cleaning the connections and nothing. I'm looking for bulbs for it now. They look like the old screw-in type you used to get in flashlights. It's eother that or upgrade it with a couple cheap LED flashlights. If I can find the right size I think that's what I'll do as long as it doesn't require tearing up the original light assembly. unfortunately the paint didn't fair as well as the chrome. Apparently 30 years in a humid garage took it's toll. I don't think I can bring it back but I'm going to try as i would like to keep the bike all original. We'll see how it comes out.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Real nice! But wait... is your bike the same as the bike I put in a new thread entitled "Neat 'ol Bike?" It sure looks similar... looking forward to seeing your bike as you fix it up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts