1970's Mirella

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by ScottRyder, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Here's some images of my mid '70's Mirella. I saved it from the curbside, it was filthy and I really didn't know what I had until I brought it home. You don't see Mirella's very often ... Wonderful paint, I'm in love with the crankset. Most of these photos were taken they day I got it. Since then it's been overhauled, polished and ridden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scott

2. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Worthy find, my friend!

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Sweet! Ya might wanna throw some new rubber on it though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Thanks Fleeter,

Funny, I don't look for bikes by the curb anymore, I don't think I'll ever find anything as nice.

I have put new tires on it, I have a set of Vittoria Rally's with tubular rims that work pretty good.

Scott

5. mansram01

mansram01 New Member

1971 Mirella Road Bike

Hey Scott-

Here's my '71 Mirella. Took me about a year to paint, polish, buy parts and put it altogether. All of my parts are original with the exception of the Brooks saddle, tires and bar tape/ends.

Handlebar/Stem: 3TTT
    Cranks: Campy Gran Sport
    Seatpost/shifters/RD/FD/Hubs/Seatbinder: Campy Record
    Chain: Regina Oro
    Pedals: Way-Assauto (last produced in '71)
    Cassette: Suntour 6-speed
    Wheels: Nisi Moncalieri
    Tires: Vittoria Rally
    Brakes: Weinmann Vainquier
    Saddle: B-17 Regular (Chopped)
    Color: Masi Champagne (from Cyclart)

Hope you like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With my Masi Fiamme Hard Silver Wheels
    [​IMG]

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Very nice bike. Jealous of all these posts of people finding gems on the road side.

7. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Hey Manuel,

Welcome to TwoSpoke. That's a first post that's going to be tough to beat!

Your Mirella is one of the nicest I've seen. The paint, decals, component group, everything is perfect. Do you still have the photos of what it looked like before you started? Love to see them again!

Scott

8. mansram01

mansram01 New Member

Hey Scott. Thanks for the compliment. Yours is pretty striking too. I have yet to see another LERI like yours out there.

This is the way the Mirella originally appeared when I first got it last March, 2009. Although the original bike looks pretty good in the pics, the paint was cracking and fading overall. There were a lot of chips that were exposing the frame. But the components were in very good to excellent condition considering that they're nearly 40 years old.

Despite the recommendations to keep the bike original, I decided to go ahead and re-paint it. Re-chroming the headtube lugs was just too expensive. So the pitting was removed and repainted. In the end, I simply wanted it to look like I just bought it from my LBS yesterday by preserving as much of the original look as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Wow Scott I'm glad I checked in on this forum. That is a stunner! Congratulations. I absolutely love the paint, and that crankset is fantastic. What kind of NR rear derailleur is that? I haven't seen one with the cool extended attachment arm with the Campy script on it. It's awesome.

Wow.

10. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Devin, it's a Campagnolo Rally model, for touring, hence the log arm for all that extra chain. Evidently the name plates were interchangeable with the Nuovo Records and this one has been switched out. I'm not an early Campagnolo expert so I may have that wrong.

The Rally's come up on EBay every so often, they command a pretty good price.

Scott

11. getlaw

getlaw New Member

mirella decals

I'm considering picking up a rusty mirella frame. Definately needs paint. It appears you found new decals somewhere. Where? Thanks.

12. top506

top506 Board-Certified Retrowrench

This thread is almost four years old, so I hope I'm not waking the Zombies....
    mansram01, where did your source the decals? Reason I ask....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  13. czardad

czardad New Member

I bought a Mirella in Chicago in early 1975. It had the Campy 3-arm crank with alloy riveted rings (called their Nuevo Tipo groupo), Nuevo Record rear deraileur, the Campy push front deraileur, like the old Simplex, only metal-still junk. Nuevo Tipo high flange hubs with sewup rims, ttt handlebars and stem. Crummy paint job in my opinion but, I loved that bike. It handled great I rode a Raleigh Super Course before that so I really like the Mirella. A couple years later I rode it to a rock concert in Normal, Illinois. I got drunk and it was stolen from behind me as I was leaving and talking to someone. Such is life. I hope they liked it as much as I did. I've now lived 30 years in Arizona and have mostly ridden Treks since then (although I rode an English touring bike called a Scott for a couple years. I got the frame for doing a guys taxes and build it in an eclectic manner- rode good though).