1971 Schwinn Twinn Delux Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by flyingmercruiser, Apr 24, 2010.

1. flyingmercruiser

flyingmercruiser New Member

Hi: I bought a 71 Schwinn Twinn Delux and I absolutely love this classic old bike. Unfortunately the rear wheel has many dents and now is popping tube after tube. The spokes and hub are in great shape but I'm having a very tough time finding a replacement chrome wheel to transplant the old to the new so I can get riding again. Any help or suggestions. I'd be grateful. Thank You. Jer

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

any chance of fixing the wheel you have?? Depending on the dents, you may be able to at least make them better, but I have another possibility. Have you put new rim tape over the inside of the wheel to make sure you don't have a spoke working like a pin on a balloon?? Just a thought

3. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Where these dents located that make you think they are the culprits of yer flats?

4. flyingmercruiser

The dents are on the sides of the rim. Looks like the owner was hitting curbs with low inflation. The blow outs are always a long slits about 3 inches long just above the rim-line. Thanks for responding. Jer

5. flyingmercruiser

Thanks for your help. The rim is in really bad shape according to a shop I took it to. I've already replaced the rubber strip.

6. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Yeowy..that a toughie. Since you took your bike to a shop, hopefully they can bang/grind them out. Other than that all I could suggest is hitting: flee markets/want ads/Craig list/Ebay etc etc etc....
    Good Luck :)

Seems like Schwinn started equipping the Deluxe models with S-5/6 wheels and tires starting in 1971. The 1970 and earlier Deluxe Twinns were equipped with S-7 rims and tires, and the standard Twinn models had the S-7's through all years. It would seem to me that the wider rim and tire would be the best choice for all Twinns, and I can't see where going to the slimmer rim and tire on just the Deluxe models would provide any advantage to Schwinn or consumers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. Busterz111

Busterz111 New Member

Does it have the Skinnt Tires or the 1 3'4 Tires.The Rim you may seek is quite Common.Its a 26" Schwinn s-7 Rim.They were used on quite a few Schwinns of that period.Breeze's are the Most common,Just be sure to count the spokes as they had 28 and 36 spoke rims.Is it a Coaster or 5 speed.

8. flyingmercruiser

Hey Thanks so much for the input. This definately helps. Have a great summer!!