Two Spoke Forums banner

1980's Lotus Challenger SX

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  froze 
#1 ·
Just picked on of these up, had a few questions about it. I plan to ride it as is for a month or two to gauge my interest in this bike. I need it to last for a while, but have been considering doing a single speed swap in the near future. Just wanted to get some advise on the bike thus far. It has all the original parts, in used but decent condition (Shimano Z-Series parts). I did notice that the left brake hood it not in line with the right, and am not sure how to go about leveling them.

Is this bike work upgrading componentry? Stem shifters are a little weak IMO. Also I notice many people refurbish these bikes, and dont convert them to single speeds. Down the line if I wanted to do that would it work well? I also wanted to paint, and perhaps customize it a little bit. Is this bike not worth doing any of that?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Just to share a pic, I didnt find a "post your bike" thread in the top pages of the road bike forums so I wanted to share it here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ALSO, does anyone have an idea of the size of my handlebars? I want to replace them because they are bent down on the left side. I read somewhere they might be 25.4 or 26mm. I really dont want to buy a new bar that doesnt fit!

Thanks.

#3 ·
All you need to do is to measure the inside diameter of the stem or the outside diameter of the bar where the stem would be with a tape measure with CM markings then convert to MM's. Or use calipers. I know you want a answer exactly but the problem is if the stem was replaced with an aftermarket stem then the measurement could be the other one we don't say it is and you get the wrong bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.