1987 Schwinn Prelude

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Doohickie, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Doing my regular rounds on Friday I spotted a Schwinn Prelude outside a pawn shop. After a little checking and finding out it's a pretty decent ride (better than my Raleigh Marathon in quality), I decided to pick it up. I will either flip this one or sell off the Marathon. It seems to be mostly original except for the rear wheel, tires, seat, handlebar tape and... the shifters. :mad: It's supposed to have Shimano S.I.S. downtube shifters and instead has cheapie replacement stem shifters. I'm looking into getting some S.I.S. DT shifters to bring it closer to original. The paint on the frame was a little rough, but it's black so I just touched it up with a paint pen.

Some pics:

As found-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the cleanup process-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

XLNT! Whatever you paid, I'm sure it was a good deal. I would have jumped on it too. Since the decals look good I would have just touched up the paint too. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: It looks like the badge rivets have been replaced with screws. Is it my eyes?

Steve

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010

3. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

XLNT! Whatever you paid, I'm sure it was a good deal. I would have jumped on it too. Since the decals look good I would have just touched up the paint too. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

4. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

Oops sorry about the double post. I was checking Preludes' specifications for 1987 and found the original colors were "Midnight Mauve" and "Ice Pink." After looking up mauve, I found that is a kind of purple. So my guess is the bike was painted at some point. But still a nice bike Doohickie!

Steve

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nice find! I ride by pawn shops all the time and while they have some gems they want a small fortune for them.

6. Doohickie

Yeah, this was a pretty good bargain. It has a couple little issues such as the shifters and one of the brake cable guides is missing (thinking about replacing it with one from a scrap frame with a little JB Weld). Other than that, it's in okay shape. I touched up the paint a bit and could see the difference between the new paint and the old, oxidized paint. I tried some automotive wax and now all the paint matches.

7. Doohickie

A few pics from today's ride:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Doohickie

And... those sad aftermarket stem shifters are no more! I went to a swap meet this morning and picked up a pair of Shimano indexed downtube shifters and put them on while watching the Superbowl. The weather outside is crappy, cold and wet so I can't do a test ride, but on the stand, the shifting is "Click-Plunk! Click-Plunk! Click-Plunk! Click-Plunk! Click-Plunk!" up and down the rear cogs. Woohoo!

9. Doohickie

I got a short test ride in with the new shifters last night before the snow hit; it shifts nicely. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. devinfan

devinfan New Member

That Schwinn looks dynamite! The black and white colour-scheme is very cool. I want one!

11. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

I found this thread on google today. I found a Schinn Prelude at a garage sale for $10. I dont know a lot about bikes other than how to ride one, but knew this one was special and got it. It looks (to my eye) like it is all factory condition, only found 2 small scuffs and a bike shop sticker. It went to air up the tires and they are some other kind of stem, my pump got confused once I put it up to it so I cant ride it until I figure that out, but im sure it will work based on the un used condition that it is in.

What I am wondering if this bike is indeed worth getting tuned up and trying to use, or is it just another bike? I have a good bike already, just a cheap mountain bike but thats all I really need and it works fine. I took a bunch of pictures but cant seem to find the post picture button. Thanks for you time!

12. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

Pictures

Sorry for the extra post, but figured out the picture thing. Hope someone can help! By the way, I was trying to figure out the year it was made with no luck. The badge code reads : 8027. Im guessing its from 1987? Thank you!

Attached Files:

13. froze

froze Banned

That Prelude looks cherry, needs a little cleaning then waxing and it would look virtually brand new. $10 for that bike was a steal...a major steal, in fact I called the cops on you!

14. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

Thanks for the reassurance, its gone right now :(...getting new tires, cleaned, full tune-up plus some. Going to use it for the "Community Bike ride/race" and see how it works, if it isnt for me I will try to at least double that $10! I was looking at ebay and see you can actually ship a bike. wow, going to google that process. Take it easy.

15. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Nice find, Ride it till the wheels fall off

16. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Man 10 bucks? that would be a steal sweet rides guys.

17. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

Too bad its purple! Im not the kind of person that will paint it unless it shows a lot of wear and tear, Im going to be riding a purple bike for a few years. Its getting a full tune up right now, have a friend that does an awesome job for under $40. So my bike will be a total cost of about $50, not bad! If it just isnt for me, as far as size or anything I will post it for sale on here!

18. John

John New Member

I'm no expert but I believe the Prelude is in the same class as my Passage in the mid-80s.

19. orygundustin

orygundustin New Member

I wouldnt trade this bike for a 94 Taurus (sitting on 20's). It rides like a kitten running across freshley washed sheets. It is so smooth. I have been using a wal-mart Schwinn mountain bike for 4 years and never knew any better. Keep an eye out for these Schwinn preludes, they are a great ride. I have an auto search on ebay and they sell for a pretty good amount ($175-250). Now that summer is almost here (in oregon), I might just wear it out!

20. froze

froze Banned

Not even close, their two totally different bikes, Prelude was the entry level Schwinn Racing bike kind of like a club racing bike, the Passage was an high end level bike marked as a touring bike close to both Voyagers but more designed for off road cross country touring whereas the Voyagers were more for on road cross country, thus the frame was very beefy and had a high bottom bracket to help it clear obstacles. Prelude had lugs, the Passage had crude looking welds but were strong, someone once told me that they used internal lugs then they welded it to make it even stronger...not sure if that's true though but it sounds good. The Passage was probably made by Panasonic. Then in the tradition of Schwinn using whatever parts they could get at a good price, the Passage may have had Sach Huret Duopar driveline which wasn't bad stuff just not up to par to the likes of Suntour or even Shimano back then, BUT, the Passage was a decent touring bike and rare to find today thus the prices are probably higher then the Prelude on the used market. Similar models by other brands would relate the Passage more to the likes of Bridgestone RBT and the Miyata 610, the Passage was a niche bike and it didn't sell well at all.