1997 Trek Y-22 Carbon Fiber Frame PICS

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by woogyboogy, Apr 6, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I saw an ad for this on Craigslist, so I called him, he said he will hold it off for me, and hes already taken it off craigslist so he doesn't get any more calls. Heres what the ad says:
    "Trek Y-22 In race ready condition. 8 speed shimano LX shifters and front derrailur. XT rear derrailur. V-brakes in the back, disck brakes front. Fox Alps rear shock, 2010 XCR Suntor Fork with 120 travel. Carbon Fiber handlebar and stm."

What do you guys think about this bike? I'm going to try to negotiate him down to $500 because I have to drive a ways.

Attached Files:

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Nobody answered this one, so I hope you didn't already pull the trigger on it.

Negotiate down to $500?!? How much was he asking? That bike might be worth $300 on a good day! It's OVER a decade old, and CERTAINLY NOT race ready! (Unless you're running beginner races, and ready to NOT be competitive.) The Y-bikes were notorious for excessive pedal bob and poor suspension action. And I see from the pix that you'll also have to put your own pedals on it (not a big deal, I would have to, as well, with any bike I buy).

You'll play heck getting replacement parts for anything; 8-speed is still available, and cheap, but the suspension parts are obsolete; you'll HAVE to upgrade if anything goes wrong. And if HE raced it, it's been treated roughly.

Tread VERY carefully... there are better bikes to be had, for less money, out there.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Thirteen year old carbon? No thanks.

For the record, Shimano XT 8 speed commanded quite a premium, last time I checked.

4. CTD50

Yup, Hack, right up there with the 'mythical' 8-speed XTR. Stuff's premium because it worked exceptionally well, and isn't around to be had anymore....

5. Industry_Hack

Because nine speed for mountain bikes really sucks.

6. CTD50

SRAM works like a Swiss watch... for me, anyway.

7. Industry_Hack

Ask your LBS how many broken nine speed chains they've seen, compared to eight speed.

8. CTD50

Shoot, don't need to do that; broken two m'self in the last three years. Just put 'em back together and went on.

Broke ONE 8-speed chain between 2000 & 2006.

Still like my X.9....

9. Industry_Hack

My tandem started out with XT/XTR eight speed, until I realized I could sell the used XT for more than enough to cover new X.9 stuff. That's the way to go, as far as the long runs on tandems are concerned. The timing side was nine speed, and we had one of those situations where I jumped on it to sprint across the street, and my ex hesitated. The timing chain went "bang!", end of story.

10. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

I just recently sold my 97 Giant ATX 890 for $500. I wish I wouldn't have. That bike was great! 8 spd was king! Plus the bike only weighted 22 lbs. Y bikes were ok, but you got to ride them super stiff, otherwise they pogo. Im kinda nostalgic and dont really see old as crap.

How bout a y-foil? I want one of those!

11. CTD50

Jake, I'll agree, old =/= crap; of course, "old" means different things to different people.

My co-worker/riding bud did a MTB race this past weekend; aside from 'leaving his legs at home', as he put it, he realized that his '03 Epic was no longer a competitive machine, being about 5lb. heavier than just about everyone else in the race! So, for him, that suddenly became 'old'.

I ride an '05 frame, which i picked up on clearance for 1/2-price in '07; there WAS stable-platform rear suspension on it (air shock, blew out after 8 months), running a sweeter coil now. The tech on it isn't cutting-edge, but good -- love me some X.9 zero-loss triggers!

My sister's bike is an '01, and it got new wheels/tires/cassette this winter (some thief hit the bike for wheels last fall). Good as new.

There was a lot of good tech that came down the pike in the first half of the decade; lately, not so much, I think.