Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on turning a full susp. bike into a single speed. Is it possible to use a bmx bike for parts. (chainset, rear cassette)?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
To me it seems the give in the rear suspension triangle would cause slack in the chain leading to it jumping off at every bump in the road. Just saying?

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
Although it can be done it would not be as simple as converting a hardtail bike. I guess it really kind of depends on the suspension design too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What if you left the rear derailer on it and used the tension spring in it to compensate for the chain slack created by the spring/shock compressing on hits? Lock it down some way to align with the rear sprocket.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
You'd almost have to have a tensioner of some kind. a derailleur would work. If you can't set the limit tight enough to put the chain were you want it then use an old shift cable. Run the end through the barrel adjuster on the derailleur and try to set it as close as possible. then you can tune it out with the barrel adjuster. Any pics of what this is going to be done with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts