Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been 30+ years on single bolt bar clamped stems with few problems.

Looking at new bikes with stems and see 4 bar clamp bolt stems and two bolt clamp with specs on clamping the bolts.

After checking my bike shop over, I see the two bolt bar clamping stems are in my size.

Now with the 2 and 4 bolt systems I feel the need to blue loctight those smaller shorter bolts to feel safe.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
As long as the threads of the stem are engaged -- and most stems have bolts long enough to handily do this -- they don't NEED to be longer.

Blue Loctite is designed to keep threaded fasteners from loosening from vibration and torque, no other reason.

Mountains outta molehills.....

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Hack, I didn't understand that. Are you saying that loctite doesnt' work with short bolts?
No, I'm saying that loctite isn't going to affect the clamping force of the bolts across the face of the stem. Technically, it could give you a false reading on your torque wrench, but if they are properly tightened, they shouldn't loosen up. The OP seems to have an issue with clamping area, not the possibility of bolts backing out.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
No, I'm saying that loctite isn't going to affect the clamping force of the bolts across the face of the stem. Technically, it could give you a false reading on your torque wrench, but if they are properly tightened, they shouldn't loosen up. The OP seems to have an issue with clamping area, not the possibility of bolts backing out.
I see. Thanks.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I ran a two bolt stem on my tandem for a while. With two guys riding, that was around 400 pounds of bike and captain/stoker, which puts a bit of torque on the stem, for sure. No failures, no worries. Shouldn't be a concern on a road bike.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
I ran RaceFace 2-bolt stems when I ran a 25.4 riser bar on my bike; when I 'stepped up' to 31.8, it was 4-bolt all the way....

I'd like to use that old RF stem again, but I LIKE this new bar so MUCH!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would not use blue, I like purple #222 for small screws in aluminum
¢¢

1 - 10 of 10 Posts