20 to Z-E-R-O in a instant !

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Mar 7, 2010.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I put this in General because as helmet saved my noodle this morning on a ride and I didn't think it fit real well anywhere else.

Complacency or S.A.(situational awareness) as Andy likes to call it got me. Doing the same ride we have done many times before. It was a bit more windy today and I was kinda in my "zone" just pedaling along behind Andy not paying a whole lot of attention and then it happened ! I would like to blame it on the road conditions or Andy slowing just a skosh, but what it comes down to was me! I was just not paying full attention. I looked up and had no where to go except to Andy's right which was off the road and just could not maintain control through the drop off and loose gravel. I crashed to my left back towards the road rolling into the center of the lane. Water bottles rolling all over, shades in the middle of the road and my shoulder killing me. I stood there stuned for a second and realized I was in the middle of the lane and THANK god 1. for the helmet I was wearing since i t was now busted all to crap and 2. the driver of the vehicle behind us was paying attention and stopped to make sure I was all right ! I truly believe the helmet saved me from either a cracked noodle or at the very least a nasty bloody mess ! I finished the ride with a new perspective on riding, safety and the fact that not all motorist are bad !!

Have a GREAT day, I am !

[​IMG]

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I've taken some hard falls on the trail that I'm glad as hell I had a helmet on. Some people can take a bat to the head and walk away, some get the slightest hit just right and die. Don't want to fall into the later.

3. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

Last January one of my sergeants was riding his road bike going about 15 mph behind a mail truck when he looked down to check his chain. When he looked up the truck had stopped and he didn't get a chance to put on a brake. He busted the helmet up in pieces and ended up paralized in the hospital. After several months of hard work he was able to walk and move around. He is back riding again but is till having problems out of his arms and hands. The helmet saved him and his putting forth the effort to recover. He put out everyday 110% in rehab. I will not get on a motorcycle without a helmet and now will not get on a bike even if just riding around the drive.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Glad to here you are okay! Though we had a thread here that kind of got out of control about the benefits of helmets, I'm definitely a firm believer in them!

BTW, what program are those plots coming from?

5. rola643

Yea I cam imagine how a thread like that could explode ! The software is nothing fancy. It's the Garmin Connect website. Garmin Connect - Social Training Log for Running, Cycling and Outdoor Activities I use that and Sport tracks for the most part

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Good to hear that you survived with limited damage. Appreciate you sharing your story as I think a lot of us have had similar situations. Also good to hear you learned something from the experience.

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Sounds a bit like what happened to me in late '08.

October 22 is burned into my memory; I was commuting to work on a brisk, cloudy morning, sporting my brand-new gloves, cold-weather gear, and trusty helmet. I was feeling good, energetic, loving the crispness of the air, and the roll of the bike as I gathered a bit of speed on the slope.

I slowed just a bit at the corner, ready to keep rolling -- when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, oncoming traffic.

Don't trust your feel for the brakes with new gloves on.

I flipped over the bar, dead-sailoring into the asphalt, landing on my head and right shoulder. Cracked the helmet in two places, and my collarbone in five. Off the bike for seven weeks. Now, I won't even leave the driveway on my bike without a helmet.

The local courthouse's metal detector didn't alert to my metal plate; maybe the airport can get some bells ringing....

8. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Glad to hear you're ok.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Been there... Glad your ok.

10. rola643

It's been a bit more than 24 hours and a few more aches and pains showed up today but I kinda expected that. Went to the LBS to replace the helmet and got some good news. I am using a Giro helmet and got 30% off the cost of replacement. I think they told me that was from Giro for purchasing another from them....I can't remember for the life of me exactly if that was the reason or not :eek:

11. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

The good news you are alright. That could happen to anyone. You were wearing your helmet for just such a moment so I would not beat myself up about any lack of concentration.

12. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Glad you're OK man. Stay safe out there. Makes me glad I ride alone.

13. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Thankfully u r ok. Did the helmet save your life? Maybe or maybe not but I would be confident to say that it definitely lessened the injury. If that shoulder is still bothering you tomorrow, get it checked out too.

You are wise to remember that a helmet is a ONE IMPACT device. It was designed to take one impact and one impact only regardless of how it looks. I would suggest you give Giro a call, tell them what happened and see if they want it to see if they can learn anything from the one you tested for them. They may or may not care, but Id ask.

I do not know if you still deserve the jinx nickname. I may take it back because if it had been me, Id have been in a barbed wire fence. lol Still thanks for posting the story. It is a good reminder that it only takes a split second. Id ride with you any day, but without a tow rope I couldn't keep up. I haven't heard the term situational awareness since I quit flying, but its a good term for what we must do on a bike.

Don't kick yourself too hard. Learn from the experience, but don't dwell on it. It sounds like you have, and its a good lesson for everyone. Back in the day when I made my living in an airplane being flown by someone that didn't know how to fly, almost every single one of them scared themselves at some point in the process of learning. That focus and ability to concentrate for long periods of time is a learned skill. Maybe I am lucky, but I can count on one hand the number of times a driver was a jerk to me, but there is know way I could possibly count how many times some one passing by has stopped and tried to help a total stanger.

14. rola643

lol, this is just my take on helmets, I wrote that just about 2 years ago. I always think about it when the "Great Helmt" debate comes up.

15. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Glad to hear you survived it anyway. It's amazing how fast those things can happen

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

Uh, really, just who is going to call 911 if anything happens to you? Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of solo riding myself. And was in a similar situation and my friends were able to call 911 to get an ambulance to take me to the hospital.

I suffered at least seven different types of injuries in that crash:

abrasions
    broken 5th digit left hand
    broken orbit left eye
    contusions
    concussion
    facial laceration
    undisplaced linear fracture, head of the radius

So whereas others have said, a helmet may not be needed in every crash, nor may it protect in every crash I'd still rather be wearing one and not need it then not be wearing one and have needed it.

17. rola643

Say your piece and move along. Don't dwell on this topic to long!! I don't want derailments and spin offs here! Thank you and have a GREAT day :cool:

18. Bluevoss

Bluevoss New Member

Years back, had a street sweeper break a hydrolic line and paint the entire lane with the stuff. I came riding down about 3 minutes later, clean road, no obstructions, looked like maybe a little rain had fallen, perfect bike trap. Hit that stuff and the bike flew out from under me. Hit the pavement on my left side and slid something like 20-30 feet (not a single scrape, either - thats how slick it was). But my head rapped the pavement like a bell-clapper, three times. I can distinctly remember it - whack,whack,whack. Didn't really break the helmet but I replaced soonest. I don't want to think about what would have happened without it. In fact, I don't think I would have been thinking...

19. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Wet leaves is what sent me flying. I went down and ended up in the trafic lane with the bike on the sholder of the road. The cars just kept comeing and blowing there horns, no one stoped. I roled on to the sholder as fast as I could. I was real lucky as I am on Warfarn for my A-fib and boy do I bleed, I had a helmit on, and as far as I know I did not hit my head. Good thing I can not ride fast only thin hurt was a sore hip.

20. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

I agree, I'd hate to think of where I'd be if I hadn't been wearing a helmet when I crashed. I mean think about it, I got a concussion while wearing it. And like you mine didn't break either, but I did replace it.