Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this bike which I found on craigslist. Currently I'm riding my '88 Panasonic Mnt Bike which has been converted to more of a hybrid however it weighs over 31 lbs so any newer road bike will be a major improvement. I'm also looking at a new Giant Defy 2 at my local bikeshop which will be ready for a test ride by tomorrow. Anyway I can probably get the Marin for less then $500. Are these good bikes or should I just look at the Giant which I know are excellent.

Thanks.

·
Helmet up, wheels down.
45 Posts
Looks like the Marin is Tiagra on Aluminum with a carbon fork.

The Giant is Tiagra on Aluminum with a carbon fork.

The newer Tiagra components are going to be a little lighter and newer technology. Comes down to price I guess. For my money I would buy the Marin (assuming it fits right), a can of citrus degreaser and some wax based chain lube. A little tweak/tighten and some elbow grease and you have a fully broken in bike ready to go. Plus you will have cash for pedals, new bar tape and a saddle that fits your hiney.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I took the Defy 2 out for a 30 minute test ride 2 days ago and it felt really comfortable. I should get a call from the shop owner later today on price. One major advantage is I'll get lifetime free adjustments so I'm leaning toward the Giant. Plus the shop is 5 minutes from my house. One other bike I'm looking at but have yet to take on a test ride is the Novara Strada for $1,149 which has Shimano 105, a triple crank and 10 speed rear cassette so for the $$ it has a lot to offer. That being said the closest REI is a 35 minute drive.

There are no reviews on the Marin plus frame technology has changed quite a bit over the past 6 years so I might take it off my list.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts