2009 Monocog 29er Single Speed Cog Change

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Blazerwolf, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Question bikers? I have a 09 monocog 29er SS with a 32T crank and a 16t cog. What would be the associated problems with changing to a 42t crank and would it enhance my over all ride or am I way off base?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

More speed, but forget about hills. Your starts would be really slow too.

3. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Thanks Hack, when I got the bike I had no intention of riding off road or down hills so I inquired on how to make the ride better. Advice, change the knobbies for ballons and change out the 20t cog to a 16t. I did both, put on Schwabe Big Apple 29ers (great Tires) and changed the 20t to a 16t. It works great, but the max speed I can get is about 14MPH which is ok, but that 16t cog sure is hard to push on any kind of grade. Don't get me wrong as I am not complaining as I have lost over 40 lbs in the last 4 months. However it would be nice to pick some extra speed and be able to take those grades a little easier. What would be your recommendation?

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Change the 32/16 combo to 40/18, and be ready to do some work.

5. Industry_Hack

I think it's time for some intervals before you swap chainrings.

6. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

CTD50 explain please, same with your comment Hack! I'm a new rider after 40 years so todays jargon is out of my realm!

7. Industry_Hack

Assuming that you're in good physical shape, (not heart attack material) you should go out for a long ride. Do a warm-up of 15-30 minutes at moderate pace. Then sprint as fast as you can, trying to go flat out for a full minute. Give yourself about a 4 minute break, then repeat.

Those numbers can stay loose in the beginning, but you want to work up to a hard effort, recovery, and another hard effort, repeated over at least 30 minutes. Do not do this two days in a row, you'll need a recovery day in between. And you must ride (but an easy ride) on your recovery days, to stimulate blood flow, which will help remove lactic acid buildup.

Combine intervals with distance, and you'll have a better fitness base. You'll need that for the bigger gear, but it will also contribute to higher sustained speeds with whatever gear you run.

[edit] Be realistic about your fitness. Consult your doctor before undertaking rigorous exercise.

8. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Thanks Hack for that info. Let me give you a quick run down on what I have done to date. Started out with the new bike around the 1st of May riding for maybe two weeks on short trips of maybe 1 mile max until I got my legs in some sort of shape before I started on a regular workout schedule. Then I started on a 10 week program of riding 1 mile each day for 6 days. then 2 miles each day for the next week and so on until I was riding 10 miles a day. I started out at 280 lbs. and at the end of 10 weeks I had lost 40 lbs.

I am now riding 10 miles every other day taking it easy for a day in between. I have not tried to stand up to pedal as of yet and don't know if I could stand up and do a 1 minute sprint. Your anaylis?

9. Industry_Hack

I'm not a doctor, or a coach, and I'm wary of making it sound like I'm either. That needs to be made clear, so that we both understand that you're exercising at your own risk, and not based solely on my advice.

But...

If I was in your position, I wouldn't swap gears yet. A bigger gear probably won't make you faster right now. You've only got six months and maybe a couple hundred miles under your belt. And some outstanding weight loss! :thumbsup:

Next step is to bring up the pace a bit. Rather than worrying about the times I posted above, head out at your usual pace, and once you've warmed up, put a little extra effort in for 30 seconds to a minute, then give yourself some cool down/recovery time. What you need to do is bring up your average speed, and that requires increasing your fitness. Take your time doing this.

Make sense?

10. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

Thanks Hack, that is some great advice! Total miles on the computer are 360 plus what I put on before I bought the computer. Maybe 50 miles? Started my workout schedule at a local park that has a one mile paved road around the soccer fields. After a couple of months I moved onto the local streets in my neighborhood which was much more difficult than riding at the park and more dangerous. My goal is to lose another 20 lbs and maintain that weight. I would also like to get to the point where I can go on one of the local bike outings without dying after 10 miles. What you think another 6 months but with the suggested regimen?

11. Industry_Hack

Hard to say. Six months is probably a bit conservative, which isn't necessarily bad. But again, it's all up to you. Only you can determine your comfort zone. You want to see that progression in both speed and distance, but work on them on separate days.

At some point, your nutrition is going to play a bigger role as well. Diet and hydration are going to become more important as you "kick it up a notch", so to speak.

Past my bedtime. Have a good night.

12. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

OK Mr Hack, I picked up a 19" Specialized HardRock Frame for $20 bucks. I figured a set of cheap 26" wheels and a set of 2.25 Inch balloon tires. a 44T single speed crank and an 18t free wheel. with rim brakes. This as a second bike at my cabin since hauling my 29er to the cabin is out of the question. Riding on blacktop and golf cart paths gravel packed! Your take on this ride?

13. Industry_Hack

I built up a single speed MTB with some cheap Kenda tires that had a diamond pattern (almost like gun checkering) and it was a blast to ride to the beach. Fast, light, and easy to hop small obstacles. The only bad time I had was when I tried to make a turn from a bike path into sand.