2009 Trek 7.6 FX

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by telliemj, Dec 11, 2009.

1. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Does anyone on here have a 2009 7.6 FX? Do you like it? Any pluses or minuses u can come up with? I am thinking of getting one and I think I want to go with the 2009 because the 2010 has some lower end components on it. Thanks a lot everyone!

2. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

There are quite a few 7.6 owners on another forum I used to frequent. The FX series is considered by many to be a flat bar road bike. It has nimble handling and is relatively lightweight....mine is about ~23 lbs.

IIRC the components on the upgrade list were saddle, brakes and pedals.

The OE saddle may be perfect for you....or it could take years for you to settle on one.

I upgraded the brakes on my 7.7 to Shimano XT.

If you plan on clipping in get some Shimano SPD pedals. If not, ditch the Wellgos and put on some good BMX pedals.

Everything else you can ride until failure then replace or upgrade.

I suggest getting a set of bar ends to provide additional hand positions and well as a good pair of gloves. I installed Ergon GC3 grips and bar ends & have been very satisfied with them.

Good luck on finding the 2009 model. Trek USA may be able to help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

3. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot. It seems to me that you changed/added a lot of things to your bike. I thought this bike comes with ergo grips? I was figuring on keeping the pedals that it has because I like the idea of having the option to either use clipless shoes or just use the regular pedals. I know what you mean about the seat. I do like the elastomer seat but I wish the seat had more pading.

4. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

AFAIK the 7.6 does not come with bar ends....the 7.7 didn't.

I personally don't like the Wellgo pedals, but you're correct, they are versatile. BMX pedals will do a better job gripping the soles of your shoes absent clips.

More padding usually translates into less blood flow...and a numb butt within ~30 minutes.

The only items still stock on my bike are the frame, fork, handlebar, cables and the Shimano 770r shifters.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Iso Zone

How is the iso zone on that bike holding up. Is it held on with some industrial adhesive or is it bolted on or what? Any signs of cracking or noise in cold temperature?

6. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Shimano XT brakes? Arent they disk brake? I didn't know you could mount disk brakes on a bike that originally came with V-brakes. I didn't think there was any way to mount them?

7. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

The polymer is holding up well. It is bolted into the frame from between the seatstays into the seat tube. It may be a tad noisey in cold weather. I weigh 232 lbs and rode ~20 miles this afternoon in 43 degree weather....no cracks in the polymer.

Mine aren't.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Pic of the levers...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Calipers / ~$50 @ Colorado Cyclist

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Thanks a lot

That gives me the reasurrance I needed. Thank you!! Sorry about the brake mix-up. I looked up XT brakes and all that i could find were the disk kind.

9. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Just to let everyone know, I ordered my 2009 trek 7.6 FX and it should be coming in today!! Due to the fact that it is a 2009 I got a little bit off of the price while taking advantage of the better components on the 2009 than the 2010. I look forward to letting everyone know how it does. Next I will be looking for a Cyclometer and I think I will eventually get a Kurt Kinetics Fluid Trainer.