2010 Predictions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sean, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

1. Alberto Contador
    2. Andy Schleck
    3. Bradley Wiggins
    In no order the rest of the top 10:
    Lance Armstrong
    Cadel Evans if he can get a team
    Tony Martin did a great ride today.
    Frank Schleck
    Nibaldi
    Kloden, but only if he is not on LA's team.
    OK that is eleven

Just based on this year. It really depends on the team Contador gets, and a billion other things. Post your predictions, and we'll check back next year.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I put Frank on the podium. Like I said in the TdF thread he will be thinking of the 3 seconds that put him behind Wiggins. He will have it in his mind to ensure he makes no mistakes and at each break he will be thinking if I don't go will I be behind by 3 seconds and will push and keep up. I put Lance at #1 He will be in top shape and be pushing with his new team to put another TdF trophy on his trophy shelf. Plus he has the extra motivation to win, in that if he does his name will be worth a lot of money in advertisement revenue for a his charity and his retirement.

1. LA
    2. Frank Schleck
    3. Contador
    4. Andy Schleck
    5. Wiggins

I would like to see Hincapie in the top 10 but don't think it will happen.

3. Sean

Sean New Member

Frank and LA over Andy and Contador??? I think you're smokin something funny.:D

One thing to consider is Vinekourov returning to Astana. If that happens, Astana may not be in the tour next year. Contador may need a new team (not to tough to find) or may not be in the tour.

4. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

It's hard to say how they will place, but the battle between the Schleks, Contador, and Armstrong will be epic! It's likely that Contador may be on the same team as the Schleks wich will create a single team stronger than Astana is now.

5. Sean

Sean New Member

Where did you hear that?

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Team stronger than Astana? Maybe. But as we saw this year, a team with no defined leader can be detrimental.

That's a big reason why I think LA does have a great shot next year. I mean, look at this year and him still finishing 3rd. He didn't even have a full year of training since his comeback. He broke his collarbone which kept him out of the Giro. And he was on a team with infighting and no clear leader until weeks into the Tour.

You know starting now, LA is going to train his a** off with the single goal of winning the Tour. Plus, the team he and Johan assemble around him will be built around helping Lance win the Tour.

Update to this post: Carmichael just posted this on Twitter. "great tdf by lance...planning for 2010 has already begun"

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  7. Sean

Sean New Member

good point Xela. I think back a few years to Ulrich, Kloden, and Vino on the same team with no leader. Three of the top GC contenders and no management.

BTW, Lance finished 12th in the Giro, just after the Collar bone break. Truly a top rider.

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

He broke it in the Vuelta, and you're right, he was able to race the Giro. I got them mixed up. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  9. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I did not actually hear that Contador may go in with the schleks... I was going by the actions of Contador from a few days ago when Frank, Andy and Contador finished the stage ahead of everyone else and Contador gave the stage win to one of the schleks, even though he could have easily had it himself. It may have just been him being a nice guy, but it might have well been him trying to get him foot in the door somewhere else.

With the performance the Schleks gave this year and Contadors win, the three of them on one team(with direction and a chosen leader) would be incredibly strong and fairly equal to the strength Astana has this year.

I can't wait to see how it plays out next year. I don't doubt for a second that lance will be higher on the podium next year. It is gonna be tough though.