2018 National Bicycle Challenge

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Apr 7, 2018.

1. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Well, the NBC has changed yet one more time this year. They are now partnering with Love to Ride rather than Strava. I have signed up for this years challenge and since there wasn't a Two Spoke team already started, I went ahead and started one. To register for the NBC, you'll have to log into Love to Ride by creating an account or logging in using your Strava account. If you use your Strava account, it will transfer your miles from Strava and use them for the NBC as well as placing them in your new Love to Ride account. Just another step but .... what the heck!

Let's see how many people we can get on team Two Spoke this year and lets get some miles in.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

Registred

John_V likes this.

3. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Teams are limited eight riders

John_V likes this.
  4. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I forgot to note that I signed up also, yesterday or the day before. that sucks that is cut to 8. we might have to make a, b, and c teams and meet here to decide who will make up which teams so we have a high mileage serious team, a team for people who do regular riding, and then a recreational team

John_V and rola643 like this.
  5. John_V

Yeah! I didn’t notice the eight rider limit when I started the team. I’m also somewhat confused as to why they have teams in groups like they do and limit how many teams can be in a group. Strange! I guess we’ll see how it works out when the challenge actually gets under way.

6. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be on a team of DC area riders. Last year I was on several teams :) but this year a rider can only be on one team.

John_V likes this.
  7. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

I don't get big miles only like 50-70 a week. And since teams are limited to rider number I might just make my own teamm idk....

John_V and MilesR like this.
  8. John_V

That’s OK. My wife isn’t a big miles rider and she’s joining. We’ll probably have two TS teams sine they are limiting the number of riders.

cwtch likes this.
  9. John_V

Darn! Now I need to find someone else to chase for miles.

qmsdc15 and cwtch like this.
  10. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I hope to try and hit 100 a week. that is fairly normal but we will see. all my normal riding partners retired so it will just be me, or me and my friend brian, and he can do the distance but just not fast

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  11. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I'm in - just registered

John_V likes this.
  12. lectrichead

lectrichead Active Member

It's disappointing that they don't allow multiple teams, already on my local bike group team. I talked to one of the support people a month ago or so about something unrelated and they were really helpful about things - I wonder if it would help if we contacted them about multiple groups, maybe they would consider it for next year if they got enough requests about it?

qmsdc15 likes this.
  13. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

I would have loved to taken part, but I chose RidewithGPS to keep track of my miles.

John_V likes this.
  14. lectrichead

lectrichead Active Member

You can still participate, easily, there are a couple different ways.

You can use Fitnesssyncer (https://www.fitnesssyncer.com) and set up Ride With GPS as the source, join Strava and then set it as the destination in Fitnesssyncer, and then join National Bike Challenge/LoveToRide (https://www.lovetoride.net/) and connect it to Strava. Fitnesssyncer will upload your data from RideWithGps to Strava on an interval, and then LoveToRide will pull that data from Strava. Or if you don't want to use Strava as the intermediary you can use something like MayMyRide as the go-between.

Or you can use Tapiriik.com. Again, join Strava and connect it to Ride With GPS in Tapiriik, then connect to Strava on Live To Ride/National Bike Challenge. Tapiriik is free but you have to manually click the sync button unless you give Collin Fair (really nice guy) a few bucks and then he'll set it to auto-sync for you. You can also use Endomondo as a go-between if you rather use that between Ride With GPS and Love To Ride/National Bike Challenge.

You can also use the android app SyncMyTracks (http://syncmytracks.com/ or search in Google Play) to connect Ride With GPS to Strava, MapMyFitness, or Endomondo and then to National Bike Challenge. This app works great, costs only a few bucks but you do have to sync manually each time by clicking a button, it's not automatic.

I have instructions for it's use and set up on my blog here - http://randombitsbytes.com/review-fitness-syncing-sites/ and it also comes with instructions. Pretty easy.

In my blog post above I also go over the other syncing sites a bit and how to use them.

If you have an iPhone I believe that RunGap does something similar and possibly iSmoothRun (if anyone uses either of these apps and would like to let me know how they work please drop me a line).

John_V likes this.
  15. RidesAlot

Thanks very much! I'll look into it when I get some time.

John_V likes this.
  16. RidesAlot

Is our team filled yet? There may be hope yet, John. :)

John_V likes this.
  17. RidesAlot

all looking good. Going with Fintesssyncer and it is syncing with RwGPS now. I'm on Strava and I'll join the event after the syncing is over.

lectrichead and John_V like this.
  18. RidesAlot

Should be all good to go. I am on the team, John.

Thanks very much to lectrichead.

John_V likes this.
  19. John_V

Great to hear you got on the team. I was going to PM you about how to link to Live to Ride, but didn’t get the the chance to do so. If you joined Strava, all you needed to do was to authorize your Bolt to upload to Strava and both Strava and the NBC site would be updated when you end your ride. Your Bolt will send to multiple sites at the end of a ride. Mine sends to Strava, RWGPS, and the iPhone Health app. Either way, you got on.

20. RidesAlot

I have everything working. I'll add Strava from the ELEMNT (not Bolt) app. It starts tomorrow, right John?

I'll get one good day, if I am lucky, then rain is forecast for several days.