2020 TDF starts today! Set those DVR's

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by rola643, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

2. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Watching it now!!

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Me tooooo!

4. Germanrazor

While wrecks are a part of racing in any sport and I am in no way wishing anyone injury, some of those wrecks were fun to see. It goes to show that the rain has that X factor that is like throwing a wrench into the spokes!

I wondered why it took so long for the racers to come to the decision as a whole for the most part to slow the pace??? Finally, they got it.

We all love the rapid descents but it was insane how fast they were trying it in soaked roads. They made the comment it had not rained in a long time there....the one thing I learned from a friend who is a civil engineer building roads, when the rain first starts it draws out the oils and petroleum used in building and makes for a very slick surface until enough rain washes it off.

fpl1 likes this.
  5. fpl1

It was insane. Finally jumbo vizmo and others realized they needed to neutralize the descents. You are right about the initial rain fall and the oils. Very true. How about Astanas Lopez crash? That was some serious bike handling skills. Amazing he walked away unscathed.

6. fpl1

Today - wow. Like 1989

Germanrazor likes this.
  7. Germanrazor

I agree 100%! Usually the race in years past had been decided barring a catastrophic event by the leader several days prior to the arrival in Paris.

This was truly a great race the whole way through. Nothing short of spectacular.

However, I felt so sad for Roglic after the time trial as he sat on the road being consoled by his teammates. He truly ran a race not to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, this can be the outcome when your lead is not more than several minutes.

fpl1 likes this.
  8. fpl1

Yes. He was devastated. Can’t imagine how that felt. He finished 5th I think in the time trial. He didn’t lose it - tadej just won it. Jumbo team was so strong they should have put more time between Roglic and other GC contenders. I was happy for Richie Porte tho. First podium after so many years of bad luck.

Germanrazor likes this.
  9. Germanrazor

Most certainly Tadej won it. He was on a mission on the TT for sure. Jumbo as a whole did not do their job as a team to protect their leader. Eddy Merck was spot on on that one.

fpl1 likes this.