Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching to a shorter stem for winter, and will also be swapping bars. Since weight isn't really a concern, (although stiffness probably is) what size should I be looking at? My bike currently has a 26.0 bar/stem combo, and no flex. Is going up to 31.8 going to gain me much, if anything? And what size is most popular, used, in case I want to swap either (but not both) out again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bar diameter.

I've never heard of 25.4. I think most new road bikes come with 31.8 unless you use Deda bars which are marked .1 different but use the same stem.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now I get it, thanks eaton...actually I knew this, it just didn't register in the higher centers I guess. My LBS told me about this when I was having trouble getting a light system to fit...

DrB

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
I knew that!!!!

But why change

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
Everybody uses 31.8 now, being stiffer so there's your size... now all you need to decide is the type of bend (classic, ergo, etc etc) the reach and the drop and of course what material... alu (2000, 6000 or 7000) with or without carbon wrap or a moncoque carbon. And then the stem length, angle, material, construction. Even when limiting the scope to the handlebar and stem there's quite a lot to think about and decide upon! On one of my bikes (LOOK KG451) I went with a LOOK Monocoque (only carbon) stem to absorb road buzz and ITM Millenium Wing bars which are alu with a carbon wrapping. My other LOOK (KG381) I'm building up just now and I have been going through all these questions in the last few weeks (ain't this a great hobby?!) and I've decided upon a monocque bar (great deal on ebay) for even more vibration absorbtion and a ITM Visia carbon stem.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, 25.4 was the standard for a very long time. I disagree about everybody using 31.8 now, since my bike came with 26.0.

I went with this:

And this:

[edit] Anyone have some spare carbon fiber headset spacers?

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be very afraid to use that 26.0 stem.....With the obscene amounts of power that you are known to generate I would think anything any smaller than a 31.8 would simply twist up into a noodle shape!!!!!!!! You have been warned!:eek:
I'm pretty sure that the Thomson will hold up to me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am using a Ritchey pro bar on my bike(a 31.8 though).
It is attached to a Ritchey pro 110mm/10* stem.
No issues for me. I like them.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't anticipate any issues. The irony is that I will have to do this twice, since I got myself a new bike for my birthday, and my girlfriend ordered me one too. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts