3 Piece Crank

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Dan_3, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Dan_3

Dan_3 Guest

I am thinking of getting Haros forged 3 piece crank set that comes on the x3 and such. And I am wondering what is the difference between a 1 piece and a 3 piece crank?

2. Shadowrider19

Shadowrider19 Guest

1 peice cranks will bend on you, 3 peice is the way to go. most bikes now come with 3 peice cranks, i wouldnt go with haro, check out Profile cranks, the cost a bit but theres nothin better.

3. D-Boss

D-Boss Guest

+1 on the profiles, I have been on the same USED profile cranks for 8 yrs, I have used and abused them ( me weighing around 200#). One peice cranks are what was your ****ty little Huffy when you were little kid, chrome, usually rode on crappy unsealed bearings, and are very weak. 3 peice cranks are usually larger, ride on sealed bearings, and are very very strong. Be sure to get the right size cranks for you, dont just pick some out of a catalog.

4. newman

newman Guest

Are three piece cranks usually lighter also? I notice they have alot more fancyness like holes in a pattern on them and whatnot

5. oldshoolelf

oldshoolelf Guest

Do not buy a haro 3 piece forged crank they are so heavy. I had a friend that had a set they stink. I would not if I were you.

6. 03Rubiconmg

03Rubiconmg New Member

strength is the main difference.

i cant ride a bike unless it has a nice 3 piece crank, anything less i will bend quickly. i have a Primo on my 20" bmx bike and a Profile on my 26" bmx bike.

7. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

dont get that forged crap, just as bad as 1 piece

8. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 New Member

+ 1 on the above, spend the extra cash and go profile, you will never have to buy another set of cranks in your life! The only other option I would suggest would be REDLINE flight cranks, but the profiles are much better. You will notice a difference immediately when you ride 3 piece cranks, there is no flex, no give, it's just solid and excellent. One other thing to mention, you will need different pedals, 3 pc cranks have a bigger pedals spindle than 1 piece cranks, they use 9/16' pedals.

9. TeamDropKick

TeamDropKick New Member

I have a haro 3 piece crank idk if it's forged or not it's old so it probably is anyway its heavy off the bike but on the bike it only puts like 1-2 lbs on the bike

10. BiggJay

BiggJay New Member

Hit up EBay and get a set of FSA 3 piece cranks for cheap. Great cranks and much cheaper then profiles. Just as good. I just switch from a set I've been riding on for 9 years. Why? Cause I needed to go micro gearing with my new frame. So now I'm rolling on a 2pc Mankind crank. Lighter and stronger. On sale at flatlandfuel.com.

11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Dude, it's been a year. No sense responding now.

And welcome to the forums!