Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have small hands and am extremely tired of not being able to shift gears while in the drops with the Sora shifters that came standard on my bike. I'm no racer and don't have a ton of money so I'm just looking to upgrade to Tiagra so I can shift from the drops. My bike currently has a 3x9 setup with a 52/42/30T crankset and a 9-speed (12-25T) cassette installed.

Here's the question. I came across an ad for "Shimano Tiagra STI shifters/brake levers (double/9 speed)" and I'm wondering if I can use this on my bike. They also have a "Shimano Tiagra double front derailleur" and if possible I'd also like to upgrade my front derailleur which is currently a Shimano R443. I'm still learning about bikes and am not sure...will this work? Will I have to change the setup of the shifters or forfeit the use of my granny gear? I've never used it and could probably live without it...

Many thanks in advance! And sorry if this was mentioned somewhere before -- I searched in vain for answers on the net already but I have been known to miss things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It usually works you may want to get someone else who know more about mechanics to check it first. My friend is doing the same thing on his right now and it works.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lose the granny gear (smallest chainring) and it would work. Make sure you buy old Tiagra, as new Tiagra is 10 speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts